Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Developing Hunger and Cravings

This morning I am reflecting on a few verses from 1 Peter 2:1-3,9-12 NIV:

[1] "Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. [2] Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, [3] now that you have tasted that the Lord is good."

[9] "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. [10] Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy."

[11] "Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul. [12] Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us."

The two phrases that first caught my attention were verse 2 and verse 11.  The thought that caught my mind was that these two verses are related in that they speak of appetites, or at least can speak of appetites.  I love the encouragement to "crave pure spiritual milk" as in this should be something we can't get enough of every day.  I actually like the NASB translation better as it is closer to the original Greek - it says - 1 Peter 2:2 NASB: "like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation".  It isn't just spiritual milk, it is a hunger for the Word of God!

Our pastor Kellie spoke recently about our hunger for God, and Peter here is exhorting them to develop a craving, a longing, and ardent desire, to pursue with love the Word of God!  It is interesting that Peter starts by saying they should rid themselves of malice, deceit, hypocrisy, envy and slander.  I see this a encouragement for them to clean out their refrigerators and cupboards of everything that was bad, but for which they had developed a taste.  He says rid yourselves, as in throw it away!  It is only when we stop eating these other things that we can start developing a craving for that which is real food.  As I look at that list, I would imagine that many of the popular TV shows might be so described.  What would happen if we turned off the media for a while and instead just started feasting on the Word?

The second verse that seemed similar was verse 11, and here Peter again is speaking of abstaining from sinful desires.  The Greek word means to "hold one's self off" as in exercising self control over something, and not partaking.  Again, if you stop eating something, in time you start to lose a taste for it.  I have a terrible sweet tooth, but find that if I stop eating sweets in time, I am no longer craving the sweets.  It is interesting, the same could be said for the good things as well, like the Word, the longer we go with out being in the Word, the more likely we are to lose our taste for it!  Ouch!

Looking back at the verse from Peter, he is encouraging them to abstain from sinful desires.  The NASB translates this phrase "fleshly lusts" as in having to do with our purely human or animal instincts.  Peter says these war against our soul.  Again, its like trying to walk by the candy bars at the checkout line, when you are no longer eating sweets!  For me, there is a definite war between my body and mind and spirit.  Abstaining completely helps me gain self-control.  The more I say no to that desire, the easier it is to say no.  Abstaining, like ridding one self, is a choice we need to make.  It is in our heart and mind that we make a choice and decide to put that choice into action.

The whole point of Peter's encouragement is not to just get rid, or abstain from these things that we have developed an appetite for, but to learn to crave and desire that which is better!  The more we taste that the Lord is good, the more we want to feast on that goodness.  The mercy of the Lord is sweet, the Word of the Lord is sweet, the faithfulness of the Lord is sweet, and all are meant to feed our soul, to nourish our spirit, to strengthen our inner man!  The really good news is that there is no shortage in God's ability to provide good food!  He is constantly speaking, constantly desiring our relationship and interaction, and the more we allow His Word to fill us, the more like Him we will become.  The old saying is that "you are what you eat."

This morning I am encouraged to look at my life, and see what old, nasty stuff still exists, and to rid myself of all of it.  I am encouraged to steer clear of all things that wage war against my soul, against the will of the Lord, and His Word.  I am encouraged to learn to feast on the Word, to allow the Word to fill me and become that which I desire more than anything and everything else.  To be clear, in light of my recent reflection - John 1:1-5,14 NIV:

[1] "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. [2] He was with God in the beginning. [3] Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. [4] In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. [5] The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."

[14] "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

What I hunger for is the Lord, and His written word!  I want to get to teh point where I crave Him and His Word!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment