Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

I Don't Need to Understand Fully

This morning I have been reading from Numbers, chapter 19, which describes the use of the ashes of the red heifer to create the water of purification.  It is a strange ordinance, and I was reading a couple of commentaries and both spoke of this being a type and shadow of what would be revealed in and through Jesus.  I have no issue with that at all, but it got me thinking about how we understand our present times.

As we read through scripture, it is clear that people often didn't understand what they were going through, and specifically why they were experiencing things.  Jesus told the disciples many things that they only understood later.  In fact, all of the Gospels were written quite a bit later, so they are being written with retrospective wisdom.  When we read the stories and the accounts, we are almost always reading with an understanding of what happened and how these things fit into a framework of our faith.

What I was thinking about this morning, was how the people who had to follow these ordinances thought about them.  If these were types and shadows of Christ, they were given 1500 years before Jesus was born.  The Lord, in his vast wisdom and plan, had many such things that were required, which set up a pattern of life that one day would be completely fulfilled in the Life of Jesus.  For us, that isn't so hard to grasp, for those who were walking through life at the time these ordinances were set into place, they probably had no idea at all what God was doing, nor why He was requiring this of them.

This gives me some hope regarding my present lack of understanding about my own situation and circumstances.  I think one of the greatest struggles we have is understanding our present situation, season or even our purpose!  As we see in looking back at history, looking back at the scriptures, we often find that seemingly insignificant events were catalysts for major changes, sometimes even major moves of God!

As I was thinking about this, I was reminded of a story I had read about the chain of events that lead to Billy Graham's salvation, and its started with an obscure man who taught Sunday school.  Here is a basic list of how it happened -

Sunday School teacher Edward Kimball helped lead Dwight L. Moody to Christ; J. Wilbur Chapman was converted at a Dwight L. Moody evangelistic meeting;
Billy Sunday was converted at a Chapman meeting; Mordecai Ham was converted at Billy Sunday meeting; and Billy Graham was converted at a Ham meeting.

I guess that there are a few technical discrepancies in this list, but the point should be understood, that very few people would have ascribed any significance to the life of Edward Kimball, or to the effects of his ministry.  Many people in Christian circles have heard of Dwight Moody, the rest of the guys on the list, less so, yet each had some important role to play.  According to the the statistics gathered on Billy, there were estimated to be 2.2 billion people who heard him preach; 215 million – estimated number of people he preached the gospel to at live events; 2.2 million – estimated number of people at his crusades who responded to the invitations to become a Christian.

Going back to my original thoughts this morning, it is only in retrospect that we understand and honor the work of Edward Kimball.  It is often only in retrospect that we fully grasp the significance of our present situation.  Rather than struggling to understand, or being stuck in analysis paralysis, we should be trusting that God has a plan, that He has a purpose and one day it will be clear.  We don't need, nor should we expect to fully grasp the breadth of God's plan and purpose for our lives.  We can however hold tight to several truths that will keep us on track with God (this is just a very short list off the top of my head):

1) He loves us (John 3:16-17)
2) He has made a way for us to be in relationship with Him (Heb 10:19-24)
3) He has promised to lead us and guide us through the indwelling Holy Spirit (John 14:26)
4) He has promised eternal life to those who believe and entrust their lives to His Lordship and relationship. (John 3:15)
5) He has all authority and power (Col 2:10)
6) He has promised to complete the good work He began in our lives (Philippians 1:6)
7) He is good (Ps. 106:1)
8) He is our provider (Ps. 111:5)

While we wait on the Lord, we can be assured that He is at work in and around our lives.  We will never fully understand everything that He has accomplished through us here on earth, but one day it will be revealed to us in eternity.  We can take great assurance that we are highly valued and treasured by God, and not a hair on our head has gone without His notice.  Our lives matter to Him!

He does work to help us understand what we need to do next, what season we are in and what His purpose is for us, and all this is revealed through conversation and relationship with Him (John 16:13-14).  He does desire to guide us and teach us and lead us, and He does want informed friends (John 15:15), but that doesn't mean we will fully understand everything.  Like the Israelites from Numbers, there will be things that God does in our lives and through us that we will only understand slightly, if at all.  Paul talks about us seeing dimly (1 Cor 13:12), and I think that is likely the best we will get this side of Glory.

So today, I am encouraged in my lack of understanding of my present situation.  I am encouraged, because I know God.  As my friend said this past Sunday, "There is no waste in God."  In other words, God uses all things in our lives for His purposes!  He can redeem the difficult times, He can bless the good times, He is always at work, and uses everything to draw us nearer to Him, and to glorify His name.  I can entrust my life to Him, knowing that He is good, that He is loving, that He will complete the work He began in me, and that He will guide me unfailingly, whether I understand or not.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment