Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, July 31, 2020

"It Is the Lord Who Sends The Thunderstorms"


This morning I thought I would spend some time in Zechariah.  Again, not my normal reading choice.  I opened up chapter ten and saw the following verse - Zechariah 10:1 NIV:

"Ask the Lord for rain in the springtime;
 it is the Lord who sends the thunderstorms. He gives showers of rain to all people, and plants of the field to everyone."

For those living in KC, this past day was pretty much non-stop rain, so this might not be our hearts cry right now.  :-)

Also, reflecting on the natural weather, at day in the 70s with 24 hours of rain in July is definitely not what one would expect, living in Kansas City!  The Lord, while He put into place the seasons and changes, can certainly supersede such seasonal norms and provide relief from heat and dryness in the middle of what is normally a hot and dry period, in response to the prayers of His people. 

I was thinking how asking God for springtime rains, doesn't make much sense, as in our normal year, we experience plenty of ran in the spring.  Our logical mind would say that there is no need to ask for that which is expected, and will by nature be provided, and almost seems a bit unnecessary. 

I would say that turning our mind and heart to our creator is never a bad thing.  Understanding that His creation has order and follows a predictable seasonal pattern is the foundation of our scientific exploration and thought.  It was in recognizing that there was order, that things seemed to follow consistent patterns, that gave man his earliest awareness of God's involvement. 

However, this morning, my heart and mind aren't moved by the natural seasons, but rather by the spiritual indications.  These verses from Zechariah would be the second time in the last few days that I have been reflecting on the rains, and I believe that rain is symbolic of God's favor, presence and Word being poured out on His sons and daughters. 

I am reminded of a set of verses from Isaiah 55:10-11 NIV:

[10] "As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, [11] so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."

Lord, I pray for an outpouring of Your Word, of Your Presence and of Your Favor over Kansas City, and over all Your people!  We pray that Your Presence would saturate us and overflow onto all around us.  We pray for Your heavenly power to be unleashed and that all the peoples would see and respond to You.  We pray that the fruit of Your word would be seen, and that it would accomplish Your purposes.  We pray that the land and the people would be revived by the rain of Your presence!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment