Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, July 25, 2020

The Energy of Partnership in the Body of Christ


This morning I am spending some time reflecting on a few verses from Paul's letter to Philemon.  I don't often read this short letter, but today felt led to spend some time reading and reflecting on it.   The verses that stuck out to me were the following - Philemon 1:6-7 NIV:

[6] "I pray that your partnership with us in the faith may be effective in deepening your understanding of every good thing we share for the sake of Christ. [7] Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the Lord's people."

This is an interesting statement that Paul makes, praying that their partnership in the faith may be effective in deepening Philemon's understanding of that which they share, of every good thing, for the sake of Christ Jesus. 

There is something about being in partnership, in joining ourselves to a body of believers that is supposed to help us deepen our understanding of that which we share.  I guess this makes total sense, in that the only real way we experience the wonder, love and fullness that is supposed to be evident in the Body of Christ, is to actually join ourselves to it, entering into a sort of partnership.

The NASB translation reads slightly different - Philemon 1:6-7 NASB:

[6] "and I pray that the fellowship of your faith may become effective through the knowledge of every good thing which is in you for Christ's sake. [7] For I have come to have much joy and comfort in your love, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you, brother."

While the NASB is closer to the original Greek, I like what the translators of the NIV brought out, namely the sense of being joined together in their common faith.  Paul goes on in the letter to appeal to Philemon because of their relationship, and I think the NIV translation captures that more effectively. 

Going back to my reflection, the partnership aspect is included in the definition of the Greek word Koinonia, which is defined as follows:

1) fellowship, association, community, communion, joint participation, intercourse
    a) the share which one has in anything, participation
    b) intercourse, fellowship, intimacy
          1) the right hand as a sign and pledge of fellowship (in fulfilling the apostolic office)
    c) a gift jointly contributed, a collection, a contribution, as exhibiting an embodiment and proof of fellowship

There is definitely belonging that is understood in this word.  Its not a random gathering, but one in which people have a part, and do so willingly. 

Thus, we find Paul, reminding Philemon of his partnership, and pointing to the fruit of that partnership, namely a deepened understanding. Paul says that the partnership, the Koinonia is effective in deepening the understanding or knowledge.  That word is the Greek word "energes" which is defined as effective or powerful.  I like the word powerful, for clearly the Greek word "energes" is where we get our word energy from, and energy is encapsulated power!   In other words our willingly joining ourselves to the Body of Christ, to the fellowship of a group of believers, is supposed to energize our knowledge and understanding of our faith, of our purpose and calling! 

No wonder we are encouraged to not forsake the gathering of believers (Heb 10:25).  Without this joining, without our active participation, our depth of understanding, our common purpose will not be fully experienced or enjoyed.

What a great encouragement!  Lord, I pray that all in the Body of Christ, might experience this deepening of understanding, this shared experience for the sake of Christ Jesus, in whose name we gather.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment