Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

No Fear, Heirs of God

This morning I have been reading through Paul 's lovely letter to the Roman's.  I call it lovely because I think its His real masterpiece of laying out our faith and calling us into the deeper realities.  The verses I am reflecting on this morning are from Romans 8:14-17 NIV:

[14] "For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. [15] The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship (or daughtership). And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” [16] The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. [17] Now if we are children, then we are heirs---heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory."

The verse that initially grabbed my attention as I was reading through these was the first part of verse 15, " The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again."  What a great line!  Oh that many of our churches would grasp this reality, for so many use fear as a rod to keep their members in line with their teaching or rules of life.  I have friends who grew up fearing they could lose their salvation at any time.  Others that fear missing church on a given Sunday or eating something they aren't supposed to eat, or any number of law-ish requirements. 

The key to this all is what Paul continues on with, our salvation is not about some set of acts that we do, but about our adoption into the family of God, as His sons and daughters, it is about relationship.  The specific term he uses is a Roman legal term, an adoption that is irrevocable by either party.  Once the adoption is complete the former identity of the child who is adopted is expunged completely, and it is as if they never existed.  In other words, it is impossible to go back, because that identity is gone forever.  This is the example Paul uses here, and I think it would be so helpful for us to get this deep into our hearts and minds.

Secondly, Paul writes something that absolutely is beyond comprehension, that we become heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ.  Again this goes back to the legal term he uses for adoption, for the term also includes with it a specific provision of being an heir.  I wrote extensively on the subject a few years ago and that can be found at the following link: https://amomentwithgod-srh.blogspot.com/2017/06/adoption-as-gods-sons-and-daughters-its.html

I just can't wrap my mind around the reality of that statement about being heirs of God. We are so much more than just saved from hell, waiting for heaven Christians!  We have as our inheritance, right now, all the God provided to Jesus, for we are co-heirs with Christ!  Note, this inheritance is not just available upon the death, but is available now, just as in the story of prodigal son (See Luke 18:11-32).  We don't need to wait for heaven to experience the benefits of our inheritance.  In fact Jesus taught His disciples to pray, "Your Kingdom come, your will be done, on earth, as it is in heaven" (Matt 6:10) which is about extending to earth the rule of our Father here on earth, just as it is in heaven.  Oh, that we would learn to live in this reality!

The Father wants us, His children, to live our lives from the place of assured relationship and access to Him.  He wants us to live as those who have access to the resources of Heaven, as ones who understand our identity and live without fear of losing that identity.  He wants us to step into all He has for us, not just leave the inheritance sitting in the heavenly bank account, for the day we enter Heaven.  He wants us inviting others into this awesome family, for there is more than enough provision and blessing for us all!

Lord, I pray this day that you would help me to grasp with a greater measure the reality of my sonship!  Help me to step into all that You have for me, now, as a co-heir with Christ!  Help me to lay down and be free of all that would chain me with fear!  I pray for all my  brothers and sisters who have been taught to fear You, that they might receive freedom from these lies.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment