Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Hard Hearts, Opinions and Repentance into God's Purposes

This evening I am reading from Luke, Chapter Seven, and there are so many great stories to reflect upon, but the set of verses that captured my attention was where Jesus is talking about His cousin John.  Here are the verses - Luke 7:18-30 NIV:

[18] "John's disciples told him about all these things. Calling two of them, [19] he sent them to the Lord to ask, “Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?”

[20] When the men came to Jesus, they said, “John the Baptist sent us to you to ask, 'Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?' ”

[21] At that very time Jesus cured many who had diseases, sicknesses and evil spirits, and gave sight to many who were blind. [22] So he replied to the messengers, “Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor. [23] Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.”

[24] After John's messengers left, Jesus began to speak to the crowd about John: “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed swayed by the wind? [25] If not, what did you go out to see? A man dressed in fine clothes? No, those who wear expensive clothes and indulge in luxury are in palaces. [26] But what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. [27] This is the one about whom it is written: “ 'I will send my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way before you.'

[28] I tell you, among those born of women there is no one greater than John; yet the one who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.”

[29] (All the people, even the tax collectors, when they heard Jesus' words, acknowledged that God's way was right, because they had been baptized by John. [30] But the Pharisees and the experts in the law rejected God's purpose for themselves, because they had not been baptized by John.)"


The two verses that stand out most to me are verses 29 & 30, and it seems Luke just adds them as a commentary.  I wrote a reflection on those two verses a few years ago, which you can read here: http://amomentwithgod-srh.blogspot.com/2015/06/stepping-into-gods-purposes.html

However, today I want to spend some time looking at just verse 29, as it is a very interesting commentary on people's response to hearing God's word, and to the honoring of a man of God.  All the people, even the sinners, were in agreement with Jesus' words about John, and that is such a beautiful thing these days, everyone agreeing with someone's opinion.  In this case, it wasn't just an opinion, but the very Word of God. 

As I reflect on this, I think that in our present state of disagreement and division, strife, and arguments, Jesus could come and provide the very word of God about a particular subject, or a particular person, and half of the people who heard Him would disagree because they had a differing opinion!  It seems today that people are worshipping their positions and opinions every bit as much, if not more than God.

John was a true prophet, and his ministry, like those of the true prophets before him, was a response to a call of God.  John wasn't a prophet for his own profit.  He wasn't a prophet for the luxuries that recognition could bring him.  He lived in the wilderness and people went out to him, for he spoke the truth, and their hearts were stirred by his message.  He spoke of turning back to God, of repentance and the need for forgiveness.  The following verses are some of his interactions with the crowds - Luke 3:8-14 NIV:

[8] Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. And do not begin to say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' For I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham. [9] The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.”

[10] “What should we do then?” the crowd asked.
[11] John answered, “Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same.”

[12] Even tax collectors came to be baptized. “Teacher,” they asked, “what should we do?”
[13] “Don't collect any more than you are required to,” he told them.

[14] Then some soldiers asked him, “And what should we do?”
He replied, “Don't extort money and don't accuse people falsely---be content with your pay.”

Isn't it interesting that John's message of repentance has to do with how we treat one another?  This is apparently the fruit that should be produced in keeping with repentance! His message was simple and to the point, and people responded accordingly.  They responded by publicly proclaiming their need for change, and being baptized by John.  They embraced his words, and they stepped into God's purposes for themselves which is the opposite of what the Pharisees and experts of the law did (see verse 30 above).  God's purposes are not complicated, and when we hear them they should stir our hearts, if we can even feel our hearts.

Hard heartedness, in any area is dangerous.  When we take up our opinions so strongly that we no longer see people with differing opinions as worth any respect or honor, we  have become calloused and heart-hearted.  We cease to see them for who they are, sons and daughters of God, and instead only view them by the label we place on them.  In the Pharisees case here, they considered themselves the experts and didn't need to hear some wild-man in the wilderness telling them they needed to change.  In their hard heartedness they missed God's purposes for them! 

The other evening I had a very weird dream where I was in a large game of capture the flag, but in the middle of the field was a giant mud-pit.  When the signal was given almost every player from bother sides ran into the mud and started  massive mud-slinging brawl.  I was not in the midst of the mud, and as I looked around, I saw the other team's flag unguarded and I ran directly to it and scored for our team.  In fact I did it over and over again, and I was amazed that most of the people were so busy wrestling in the mud that they totally forgot the purpose of the game.

In the same way, I wonder if some of us have become so embroiled in our opinions or the arguments around us that we have lost sight of the purpose for which Christ Jesus called us.  We are called to be a light to the nations, to represent His kingdom, to love one another as Christ loved us, to seek and save the lost. We are called to faithfully represent the ministry of Jesus, and showcase the Love of the Father. 

Let us listen to the words of John, and let us turn back to God, let us love one another, let produce the fruit in keeping with repentance!  Let us listen to Jesus, and represent His ministry, as He described it, "The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor." (Luke 7:22NIV).

I am encouraged to look at my life and to see where I need to repent, where I need to love, where I need to respond to the words of the Lord, where I need to soften my heart!  Lord, help me to hear Your word and respond! Help me to love those around me, to produce good fruit!  Help me to step fully into Your purposes for me.

Amen Lord, Help me Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment