Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

With Gentleness and Respect

This morning, my time is short, so I will share these verses and comment briefly.  I was reading from 1 Peter 3:13-16 NIV:

[13] "Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? [14] But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. “Do not fear their threats ; do not be frightened.” [15] But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, [16] keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander."

Peter wrote these words during the period when Christians were being persecuted for their faith.  There were many false stories about Christians, and he was calling his brothers and sisters to rise above the "noise" of the the false witness and news of the day about Christians.  As I read these verses I had to think of much of the present media twist, characterizing Christians as biggoted and hateful, for clearly there is an anti-Christ spirit alive and well in our media today.

What I love about Peter, and really all of New Testament authors, is their consistent alignment with the teaching and witness of Christ.  While Jesus did respond to the teachers and Pharisees with what seem to be harsh words, His overall witness towards the Romans and authorities was gentleness and respect.  His message was first and foremost about love, about revealing the Father, about mercy and compassion. He wasn't here to judge the world but to save the world by laying down His own life.

Peter is encouraging them to persevere in gentleness and respect.  His previous verses had emphasized this attitude and behavior, as follows - 1 Peter 3:8-9 NIV:  "Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. [9] Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing."

Wouldn't it be an interesting witness if we, as Christians, chose to live out the words of Peter found in verse 15?  If our response to those that were attacking us, or judging us was to respond with the reason we have this hope, but always with gentleness and respect?  There is something in me that wants to defend myself, to answer verbal blow with verbal blow, but Jesus gave us a different way, to "turn the other cheek" to pray for and love those who are enemies (Matt 5: 38, 44).

I think this would be a wise approach to the contentious social media postings these days.  Many of us have strong opinions one way or the other, and often it seems that all gentleness and respect has been lost.  I am encouraged by Peter's words to check my heart, my attitude and my words in my dealings with those who do not share my faith or my opinion.

Lord, help us to make our hope in You, a light in this dark time!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment