Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, November 26, 2020

Gratitude and Thanks

Today, I think I want to spend some time reflecting on gratitude.  There is a saying about "first world problems" for people who live in well developed places that are all angry or frustrated when one of our luxury items or lifestyle options isn't perfect.  I think its time I spend some thought on things I take for granted, things I don't often think of, but are such a  blessing!

So here is my list of things we have that I don't often think about, but am grateful for in my life - things that many people would be ecstatic to experience, or have:

1) clothes that fit

2) clothes that aren't worn out

3) clothes that are appropriate for the season

4) shoes that fit

5) socks and underwear

6) not having to wash my clothes every night

7) a comfortable bed to sleep in

8) no bugs in my bed

9) pillows

10) blankets

11) able to sleep in a room with my door open

12) able to sleep through the night without hearing any gunfire, or screaming, or even honking horns

13) a bed in a bedroom

14) temperature controlled home, heat in winter, A/C in summer

15) running water, in my house

16) clean water, in my house

17) water that is safe to drink

18) toilets that flush and don't smell

19) toilet paper

20) the ability to bathe when I want to, daily if desired

21) soap, shampoo and deodorant

22) tooth paste and tooth brushes

23) my own private bathroom

24) towels and wash cloths

25) not having to bathe in someone else's dirty water

26) automatic hot water

27) refrigerators for safe food storage

28) electric stove and oven

29) freezer for safe food storage

30) grocery stores with an abundance of food stocked in them daily

31) money to buy food

32) not being hungry

33) not having to hunt for my food

34) multiple grocery stores within an easy distance

35) a car that works

36) a car that is mine, that I can drive whenever I want to drive

37) the freedom to drive wherever I want to

38) inexpensive fuel

39) comfortable furniture

40) enough furniture to equip multiple rooms

41) doors that lock

42) windows that lock, and open

43) electricity

44) quiet neighborhood

45) a yard that is mine

46) trees, birds and wildlife visible

47) air that is clean to breathe

48) no visible pollution or trash

49) books

50) education

51) neighbors who are caring and friendly

52) family living nearby

53) not having to do manual labor to support my family

54) a relatively stable economy

55) personal space, having multiple rooms I can go to if I want to be alone

56) quiet

57) peace

58) loving family members

59) freedom

60) eyeglasses with the correct lenses

61) enough food for the day, for all my family

62) clean dishes

63) pre-processed food

64) a well balanced diet, if I want it

65) a diverse diet, plenty of food options

66) readily available medicine

67) readily available modern medicine and medical care

68) inexpensive medicine

69) medicine to relieve some of the common aches and pains

70) law and order

71) freedom of religious expression

72) freedom of speech

73) freedom of movement

74) freedom to choose 

75) abundance of food

I know I could keep going for quite a while, but this sure helped me be thankful for all the blessings that are in my life, many of which I take for granted every day!  

As Paul encourages us in 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NIV:

[16] "Rejoice always, [17] pray continually, [18] give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

May the Lord bless you today, and may your life be filled with abundant blessings!  May your heart be filled with gratitude!  


No comments:

Post a Comment