Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Gratitude, Mercy and Compassion, Rather Than Fear and Hoarding

This morning I felt led to turn to James 5, and I was thinking, I generally know whats in that chapter, not sure why that is the reading assignment today.  However, after reading it, it certainly grabbed my attention.  Here are the specific verses I am focused on today - James 5:1-11 NIV:

[1] Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming on you. [2] Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. [3] Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days. [4] Look! The wages you failed to pay the workers who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty. [5] You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter. [6] You have condemned and murdered the innocent one, who was not opposing you. 

[7] Be patient, then, brothers and sisters, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop, patiently waiting for the autumn and spring rains. [8] You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near. [9] Don't grumble against one another, brothers and sisters, or you will be judged. The Judge is standing at the door! 

[10] Brothers and sisters, as an example of patience in the face of suffering, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. [11] As you know, we count as blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy."

I can't help but read the first 6 verses in light of our present experience.  My first thought was thank goodness I am not rich, and yet as I think about it, I am!  I haven't lost my job during this time, I haven't struggled to feed my family, to keep electricity on, water running, any of the basics!  Yet, there are millions of people who are affected in these very ways.  I haven't hoarded anything, but I have no lack.  I don't think James was referring to toilet paper when he wrote this, but I would say that the hoarding of things, is every bit as bad as the other things James is decrying here!  He is talking about those people whose only focus is on themselves, people who really don't care what befalls others, as long as their lives are unaffected.   That hits a bit too close to home, for I know my families own comfort and life-style certainly take precedence over most every other thing,  and every other person in our life at present!  I do pray for those who are lacking, but that is generally as far as I will go.

As I was reflecting on this bit, I was defending myself, saying to the Lord that I don't really know anyone that's in need now.  However, as I was thinking that I felt the Lord say, 'yeah but there are people we probably know about through church that are in need, and we just need to be willing to ask!'   In general (not to defend myself) we have tried to be a generous family, and we do give and share our blessings with others as often as we can, but this time is different.  We are ALL in a crazy time, not just one or two of us!  We are ALL affected emotionally, spiritually, financially, and socially.  We have so much more we can give that isn't related to our money!  We are wealthy beyond imagining, compared to much of the rest of the world.

I feel that the main issue the Lord is after here is my heart and my focus.  When times get tough I tend to go into survival mode, which means I am focused on what I need to do to make sure we are safe, sound, and secure, with as much as possible locked down.  I reduce my focus to my own family and closest friends, and essentially shut myself off from the rest of society, mentally at least.  While God put Noah and his family into the ark, I don't think this should be the way I act now.  I am part of a much larger family, the Body of Christ.  Even beyond that, we are called to be a light to the nations, and that is impossible if we go into lock-down mode.

I think this reflection is very appropriate, as tomorrow we celebrate a holiday that began with a large group of people gathering together to share their bounty, in gratitude and friendship.  In this season of lock-down, and restrictions, there are people who need help, and if I don't have my eyes open looking for where I can help, I will miss them.  I can choose to open up my storehouses, even though they may not be rich, they are more full than others, and I can share in friendship and gratitude my blessings with those who need help!  I can choose to live out of a motivation of gratitude, compassion and mercy, rather than fear and hoarding.

My prayer is that I might live my life embracing this great family I am a part of, willingly sharing our blessings, being open to helping those in need and choosing to embrace gratitude and openness rather than locking everything down in fear.  I pray that as the Body of Christ, we would embrace a love and concern for each other that allows us to meet one another's needs!  I pray that the Light of Christ might shine brightly through me and through the greater Body of Christ to this dark world, in this dark time!  

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment