Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, November 20, 2020

The Eternal Significance of Jesus' Words

This morning I am reading from John 5, picking up where I was last reading.  Another one of those verses, that as you read them and let the words really settle in, you realize maybe you need to have a deeper look.  Here are the specific verses from today - John 5:24-27 NIV:

[24] “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life. [25] Very truly I tell you, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live. [26] For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself. [27] And he has given him authority to judge because he is the Son of Man."

Verse 25 is the one that grabbed my attention this morning, as in reading it carefully, Jesus is saying the dead will hear His voice.  Now I would normally think that He is speaking metaphorically, but 6 chapters later we have Him command Lazarus, which is clearly a literal fulfillment of this statement.  So the question in my mind, is whether this is applicable to more than Lazarus, or others that we are told He raises from the dead?  Is it speaking prophetically of the day of Resurrection, when we are told that many who were dead were raised and seen walking about the city? (Matt 27:52-53).  Is He speaking of those dead in sin?  Is He speaking about all those that die?  Can we apply this to those who have passed, who we are unsure of the state of their salvation? 

Jesus is clearly talking about eternal life as stated in verse 24, and he is also speaking about judgment, so this could very well be seen as pertaining to the final judgment.  Adam Clarke in his commentary takes a wide approach -

"Three kinds of death are mentioned in the Scriptures: natural, spiritual, and eternal.

The first consists in the separation of the body and soul. The second in the separation of God and the soul. The third in the separation of body and soul from God in the other world. Answerable to these three kinds of death, there is a threefold life: Natural life, which consists in the union of the soul and body. Spiritual life, which consists in the union of God and the soul, by faith and love. Eternal life, which consist in the communion of the body and soul with God, by holiness, in the realms of bliss.

Of the dead, our Lord says, the hour is coming, and now is, when they shall hear the voice of the Son of God, and live. The hour is coming, when all that sleep in the dust shall awake at the voice of the Son of man, and come to judgment: for he giveth life to the dead, John 5:21,28,29. Again, the hour is coming, when some of those who have died a natural death shall hear the voice of the Son of God and live again here. It is likely that our Lord had not as yet raised any from the dead; and he refers to those whom he intended to raise: See Clarke on John 5:21. Lastly, the hour now is, when many who are dead in trespasses and sins, shall hear the voice (the word) of the Son of God, believe, and receive spiritual life through him." (Adam Clarke Commentary)

I do like this wider approach, for Jesus, seems to say things that have many layers, and that is how I would expect one who is speaking for the Father in Heaven to speak.  His words have eternal significance, and thus, our understanding of them, while limited to this present natural mind, cannot be complete.  Often when I read scripture and read the words Jesus speaks, I assume that He speaks the way I speak, with a purpose and generally one intended understanding.  There are times where my speech might have allusions to something else, where the true meaning is veiled, but that is rare.  I generally just say what I mean, and use simpler words to convey my thoughts, so that I am clearly understood.  When I write I use a simpler set of words, and don't try for conciseness or perfection.  I am reminded of a friend of mine who would spend hours writing papers in college, for he was always searching for the perfect word, rather than using several words to convey his thought.  

As I think about Jesus' words, I am reminded of what He says a bit later, "For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken." (John 12:49 NIV)  Thus, we know that Jesus was not just communicating, He was repeating what the Father told Him, or "commanded" Him to say.  He was speaking words that were coming from the Father's eternal perspective, and speaking into the eternal record.  His words are not to be taken lightly.  I go back over and over to the famous quote from Isaiah 55:8-11 NIV:  “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. [9] “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. [10] As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, [11] so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."

Clearly Jesus, in speaking for the Father, was speaking words whose full understanding are beyond our grasp, words that are accomplishing exactly what they were meant to accomplish, and words that have eternal impact. 

Going back to the verses of reflection this morning, I think we must take that wide, multi-layered approach to understanding Jesus' words, for they were not spoken just for those who were following Him that day, but for all creation, for all time.  If we continue on reading in John the next two verses we see clearly that Jesus was including the final judgment in His comments - John 5:28-29 NIV:  “Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice [29] and come out---those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned."

In summary, I am encouraged to read scripture with an openness to deeper understanding, recognizing that especially the words that Jesus spoke have a weight and eternal significance.  I must lean into Him to hope to understand His word's deeper meaning!  I need to allow His words to drive me to prayer, to conversation with Him about their meaning, their application to my life, and about their purpose in me!

Lord, help me to better listen, and understand.  Help me to be a recipient of Your eternal words!  I desire as well to be able to speak the words I hear You tell me to speak, just as Jesus demonstrated.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment