Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, December 27, 2020

The Lord's Long Game

This morning the first verses that came to my mind were from the Book of the Prophet Isaiah, written approximately 700 years before Christ came.   

Here are the verses - Isaiah 9:2-7 NIV:

[2] "The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; 

on those living in the land of deep darkness a light has dawned. 

[3] You have enlarged the nation and increased their joy; 

they rejoice before you as people rejoice at the harvest, as warriors rejoice when dividing the plunder. 

[4] For as in the day of Midian's defeat, you have shattered the yoke that burdens them, 

the bar across their shoulders, the rod of their oppressor. 

[5] Every warrior's boot used in battle and every garment rolled in blood will be destined for burning, will be fuel for the fire. 

[6] For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. 

And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 

[7] Of the greatness of his government and peace there will be no end. 

He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, 

establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. 

The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this."

I was thinking how amazing the Lord is, and how His purposes span generations, centuries, even millenniums.  We are so focused on our lives right in front of us, that we have a difficult time grasping the Lord's long game, his purposes and plans that span hundreds and even thousands of years.  Yesterday I was talking with a  good friend about the blessings and prophecies that Jacob spoke over his sons, which took place right before he died, and at the start of the Jews time in Egypt.  Its difficult to identify exactly when this was, but some people believe it was close to the 1680ish B.C.  Whatever the exact date, this is what He prophesied over Judah, from whom Jesus' lineage would come nearly 1700 years later - Genesis 49:8-11 NIV:

[8] “Judah, your brothers will praise you; 

your hand will be on the neck of your enemies; your father's sons will bow down to you. 

[9] You are a lion's cub, Judah; you return from the prey, my son. 

Like a lion he crouches and lies down, like a lioness---who dares to rouse him? 

[10] The scepter will not depart from Judah, nor the ruler's staff from between his feet, 

until he to whom it belongs shall come and the obedience of the nations shall be his. 

[11] He will tether his donkey to a vine, his colt to the choicest branch; 

he will wash his garments in wine, his robes in the blood of grapes."

Again, while the words are not as clear as those from Isaiah, but there is a clear allusion to the reign of Christ!  I was thinking about the frame of mind both of these men must have been in, for they were clearly channeling the Holy Spirit. One wonders if upon speaking or writing these, they had any idea of the significance.

Scriptures like these give me great confidence in the plans of the Lord, for they are far beyond my comprehension and understanding and yet they are true, and He accomplishes what He says He will do.  I am encouraged by His heavenly perspective, and know that when He is speaking to me, there is a depth to His words that I can never possibly comprehend this side of eternity.  I am also encouraged that if I don't understand what He is about, that He isn't worried, for He is watching over all of His words to bring them to completion, even if I have no idea how.  The good thing is that He really doesn't need our understanding, but He uses our participation to accomplish His plans.

This all reminds me of a couple of verses again from the Prophet Isaiah, speaking of God's words - Isaiah 55:8-11 NIV:

[8] “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. 

[9] “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. 

[10] As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, 

so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, 

[11] so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, 

but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."


Amen and Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment