Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, November 28, 2022

Love, An Opposing Force


This morning I was reading from Roman's 5 and ran across something that caused me to think deeply about a very base truth.  Here are the verses - Romans 5:1-11 NIV:

[1] "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, [2] through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. [3] Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; [4] perseverance, character; and character, hope. [5] And hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us."

[6] "You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. [7] Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. [8] But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

[9] "Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him! [10] For if, while we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! [11] Not only is this so, but we also boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation."

The specific verses that grabbed my attention was verse 9, where it speaks of our being saved from God's wrath.  As I read that, it just seemed strange to me that we, after the revelation of Jesus' love and redemption of us while we are are still sinners, consider God's wrath (I read anger).  I thought this might be one of those times where a particular mindset caused a translation that might not be as strong in the original language so I decided to look up the original language and see.

The original Greek word is orge' and it is defined as follows:

Transliteration: orgé
Phonetic Spelling: (or-gay')
Definition: impulse, wrath
Usage: anger, wrath, passion; punishment, vengeance.

HELPS Word-studies

3709 orgḗ (from orgáō, "to teem, swelling up to constitutionally oppose") – properly, settled anger (opposition), i.e. rising up from an ongoing (fixed) opposition.

3709 /orgḗ ("settled anger") proceeds from an internal disposition which steadfastly opposes someone or something based on extended personal exposure, i.e. solidifying what the beholder considers wrong (unjust, evil).

["Orgē comes from the verb oragō meaning, 'to teem, to swell'; and thus implies that it is not a sudden outburst, but rather (referring to God's) fixed, controlled, passionate feeling against sin . . . a settled indignation (so Hendriksen)" (D. E. Hiebert, at 1 Thes 1:10).]

As I was reading through these descriptions, I thought it quite interesting, as sin is essentially choosing something other than God's will, but that freedom of choice or free-will is something that God absolutely supports and defends.  I saw it as an almost exact opposite - on one hand God wants us to choose, but on the other hand hates it when we choose poorly, and knows we will often do so.  It is almost paradoxical, and would be if we take away relationship.

It is interesting, looking at the deep stuff - oppose is basically the root of opposite. In this case we have God described as swelling up against sin, steadfastly opposing.  What if this is a swelling up of His goodness, His love, His mercy, His forgiveness, and it is the opposite of our selfishness and focus on our own wants and needs, which is generally the cause of our sin.  What if this swelling opposition is actually not "wrath" but offering a choice in relationship, as in refusing to hate, refusing to be disappointed, refusing to abandon, choosing to love the other perfectly at all times. 

When I think about my love for my kids, I love them in spite of themselves, at times.  In spite of their decisions, actions, and even sometimes anger or frustration at me, I love them.  It might seem like I am unmoving, or strict, or whatever, but I can assure you the basis of everything is an undying love that overrides everything else!  I could be presented the worst evidence in the world, and I would still love them!  I refuse to offer anything but love to them, and in essence that is my swelling up opposition, my love!  I do hate it if they make bad decisions, or decisions that will hurt them or others, but I never stop loving them!  If I am going to  stand my ground it will be in Love, and that will be my opposing force, if you will! 

Continuing back to the verses, verse 10 continues - "For if, while we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!"   Again, when we read this the language is of opposition, and struggle, "while we were God's enemies", and it just seems to me that we are only looking at this with a single focus.   This doesn't sound like something anyone would do for their enemy (I think this is part of Paul's point), and actually demonstrates something more in line with John 3:16 - God so loved the world!   The original Greek word is echthros, and described as properly, an enemy; someone openly hostile (at enmity), animated by deep-seated hatred.  Strong's describes it as  "actively, hostile, hating and opposing another; with the genitive of the person hated or opposed".   Yet, Jesus speaks about enemies in Matthew 5:43-48 NIV:

[43] “You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' [44] But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, [45] that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. [46] If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? [47] And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? [48] Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Its almost like we need a translator ring here, for where we read enemy, we have Jesus saying essentially that the Father loves them and blesses them!  We have Paul writing that while we were still God's enemies that He gave Himself for us!  When we see the word enemy, we must realize that He means us (prior to a real relationship with Him), and has chosen to love us in spite of our condition or ignorance.  That is Paul's point here in these verses! 

God isn't like us, He doesn't think like us!  When He sees someone unaware of His love and affection, His mercy, grace, forgiveness, salvation and invitation to relationship, He loves them anyway until they become aware!  While we were still sinners (His enemies), Jesus made a way for us to be in relationship with Him!  Maybe God's coming wrath (opposing force) is an opposing of all things that would color Him as anything other than as He is, the One who knows us and loves us perfectly, since before the creation of the world!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment