Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, November 19, 2022

Honoring A Mother's Love


This morning as I sat down to pray, I was asking the Lord to reveal something new to me about Himself.  I have been thinking of the importance of continued revelation in relationships and how we need to press in further and never be satisfied with our level of understanding and knowledge of another, especially concerning the Lord.  I felt led to turn to Luke 7:11 and these are the verses that follow - Luke 7:11-17 NIV:

[11] "Soon afterward, Jesus went to a town called Nain, and his disciples and a large crowd went along with him. [12] As he approached the town gate, a dead person was being carried out---the only son of his mother, and she was a widow. And a large crowd from the town was with her. [13] When the Lord saw her, his heart went out to her and he said, “Don't cry.” 

[14] Then he went up and touched the bier they were carrying him on, and the bearers stood still. He said, “Young man, I say to you, get up!” [15] The dead man sat up and began to talk, and Jesus gave him back to his mother. 

[16] They were all filled with awe and praised God. “A great prophet has appeared among us,” they said. “God has come to help his people.” [17] This news about Jesus spread throughout Judea and the surrounding country."

As I was reflecting on these verses, the thing that stood out to me was Jesus' compassion for the widow, whose only son had died.  The word that was translated "his heart went out to her" is more commonly translated "moved with compassion" and describes someone deeply affected, even to the bowels.  Jesus just didn't feel sorry for her, He was physically moved by her pain and loss, by her love for her son.  

As I was reflecting on the Lord's soft heart for this widow, I realized that this is something His own mother would have experienced at Jesus' crucifixion!  I saw an understanding in Him, of what pain He was going to cause to His own beloved mother.  We know that she was present at His crucifixion, and that he entrusted her to John (see John 19:25-27) and one wonders if this miracle is somewhat related to the pain He knew she was going to be feeling?  We don't really hear much more of Mary, other than that she was part of the people gathering in Jerusalem, waiting for the Holy Spirit (See Acts 1:14).  

We find no mention of Jesus meeting her (Mary His Mother) after His resurrection, no mention of the sweet reunion that must have been.  We know He cared for her as His first miracle was at her request, and His last act was to take care of her by entrusting her to John.  Jesus was perfect in all He did, so He was a perfect son, directed to be so by His Father.  His earthly family was important to Him, and no one more so than His mother. Over the years I have written a few reflections about the significance of family to Jesus (Here is a link to one - https://amomentwithgod-srh.blogspot.com/2018/04/the-significance-of-family.html ) and I think we must believe that if the family unit is important to God, then Jesus' family was very important to Him, and no one more so than His mother.

Going back to the verses from this morning, I imagine that Jesus was moved not only by the widow's pain and loss, but also by the idea that His mother Mary would experience this same exact pain.  I am also aware that the widow's pain was turned to joy and jubilation as Jesus raises the son back to life!  How great must have been His joy, to be able to give the gift of her son back to this widow!  How great that son's joy must have been in being restored to life that He could comfort and care for his Mother!  One wonders if He was equally moved by her joy, as by her sorrow?  Again, I imagine He was, for He also knew how great His mother's joy would be after He rose from the dead! 

So this morning, I am aware of how important Jesus' relationship was with His mother!  I am aware of how deeply moved He was by her, how much love He had for her!  I am aware of Jesus' understanding of the family dynamic, the care, and deep relationships!  I am aware that He is moved by our family cares, when we hurt about family members or situations, He understands our pain!  He also rejoices when we rejoice, especially concerning our family! He cares deeply for us, and what we care about!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment