Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, September 21, 2023

His Unsearchable Ways


This morning I am reading from Roman's 11, which is where Paul is speaking about the future salvation of Israel, and the ingrafting of the Jews.  It is an interesting chapter in that Paul is uncovering some small part of God's plan.  In the midst of it though Paul is warning the Gentile church to not become arrogant or conceited, which are the calling cards of spiritual pride.  Here are some of the verses - Romans 11:17-21,25 NIV:

[17] "If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, [18] do not consider yourself to be superior to those other branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you. [19] You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in.” [20] Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but tremble. [21] For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either." 

[25] "I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers and sisters, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in,..."

It is such a tempting thing to embrace spiritual pride when the Lord is blessing us.   We get to thinking that we have a special place in God's heart, which is true, but we start to elevate ourselves above others (in our own eyes and hearts) which is not true!  There is a fine line of going hard after the Lord, and not judging others who are pursuing Him differently.  

If we think our pursuit of Him, or our personal holiness has some impact on how God loves and blesses us, then we are embracing, in a way, a works mentality.  As Paul says a few verses earlier, "And if by grace, then it cannot be based on works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace." ( Romans 11:6 NIV).  We must always remember that our salvation, our relationship, our gifts are all grace, freely given and NOT earned.

In my logical mind, I can't see how all that Paul writes in this chapter is possible!  How will all of Israel be saved? (Rom 11:26 NIV)  I don't fully grasp the way the Lord moves across multiple generations and yet interacts with us in our present state, and somehow all of it works out perfectly.  It really is enough to make your mind break if you try to understand it all.  I think Paul gets to this place and thus ends this chapter with the following - Romans 11:33-36 NIV:

[33] "Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! 

How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out! 

[34] “Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?” 

[35] “Who has ever given to God, that God should repay them?” 

[36] For from him and through him and for him are all things. 

To him be the glory forever! Amen."


To that I add my Amen! I don't need to understand it all, I know that God is worthy of my trust, belief and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment