Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, September 19, 2023

When God Emptied Himself


Yesterday while walking my dog I found myself thinking about Jesus, and His emptying Himself to become man, and it just really got me thinking.  The best verse t describe this is found in Philippians 2:6-11 NIV:

[6] {speaking of Jesus Christ} "Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; 

[7] rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. 

[8] And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death---even death on a cross! 

[9] Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, 

[10] that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 

[11] and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

I am spending some time thinking about how Jesus made Himself "nothing" (see verse 7 above) in becoming man.  I believe this word nothing is used in contrast to the infinite, all-knowing and all-powerful nature of the Godhead.  In comparison, although in God's image, man is as "nothing", limited in our perception, limited in our life-span, limited in our abilities,  just plain limited in our finite-ness.  

Other translations say He emptied Himself, and I think that describes well Jesus' incarnation.  I am amazed that the Lord would humble himself to such an extent, for most of us rarely choose, of our own volition, a humbler position or existence, and if we do, it is certainly not comparable to what Jesus embraced in becoming like us.

He was eternal and outside of time, yet He chose to be bound by time, and its affects on our human bodies.  

All powerful, yet He chose to become fully man; embryo to fetus, to baby, to child, to adolescent to man.

All knowing, He chose to be limited to the confines of a human mind, depending on the Father and Holy Spirit for any other insight or understanding.

The Creator, He chose to fully embrace and accept being one of His creations.

Having all authority and power, He lived under the authority of His mother and father, under the power of the Roman Empire, under the power of the spiritual forces present at that time.

He was the greatest man to ever live, yet He remained hidden for 90% of His life.

He was part of the Trinity, Holy and Majestic, beyond comprehension, and yet He emptied Himself, to become a triune being like us, body, mind and spirit.  

Ultimately He suffered brutal beatings, humiliations and finally crucifixion and death, and raised not His mighty right hand or voice against His killers.

I find my mind just can't grasp any of this, the absolute unfathomable mystery of His becoming man!  I don't even have words to express what actually He went through in emptying Himself, becoming as nothing, for our sake!

I know that it is true!  I know that He chose this to reconcile us to Himself, to the Father and Holy Spirit, but it just seems too great a cost, too great of a sacrifice, just beyond anything and everything that has ever been done!  

Then, after having suffered, been beaten and dying for our sins, He comes back and extends to us the Gospel of Grace, giving salvation and eternal life to any and all who receive Him and believe!  He opens the door for the Holy Spirit to come and indwell us, pouring out living water!  

His "vengeance" against those who killed Him was to offer them salvation and full life!

Wow, wow, wow!

Lord, I am clearly not worthy of any of mercy, any of Your grace, and yet You shower it all down upon me!  You love me and desire relationship with me!  You have made a way where there was no way!  You paid the ultimate price, yet did so willingly!  

Thank You Lord for all that You did to set me free from sin and death, that I might accept Your Gospel!

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!  


No comments:

Post a Comment