Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, October 29, 2023

A Faithful Witness


This morning I felt led to read from John 12, which is the chapter immediately preceding the Last Supper.  It certainly is helpful to think about some things chronologically, as it helps to place proper perspective on the importance of what is being said.  Here are the verses - John 12:42-50 NIV:

[42] "Yet at the same time many even among the leaders believed in him. But because of the Pharisees they would not openly acknowledge their faith for fear they would be put out of the synagogue; [43] for they loved human praise more than praise from God. 

[44] "Then Jesus cried out, “Whoever believes in me does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me. 

[45] The one who looks at me is seeing the one who sent me. 

[46] I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness. 

[47] “If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world. 

[48] There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day. 

[49] For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken. 

[50] I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say.”

The verses that caught my eye this morning were verses 44 & 45!  This is such a simple yet profound statement that Jesus makes.  He is representing the Father!  If we want to know what the Father is like, we look at Jesus!  He gives us a small glimpse into the character of the Father!  I say small because of the Father's immenseness, not because of any slight on Jesus or His representation!   

Equally important is verse 49, where we receive additional confirmation of Jesus' representation of the Father.  The Father commands Him to say all He has said, so if we want to know what the Father would say, we look to Jesus!  

As tempting as it might be to judge the Lord by the way the Church represents Him, it is important to not do so!  There are many who have lost faith in the Lord because of the actions of the Church, or those that said they represented Him.  It is clear that we should be familiar with the words Jesus spoke, the way Jesus acted, and His character, so that when we can identify when the church, or those saying they represent the Lord, are acting or saying things not in-line with the character of the Lord!  We must be so familiar with the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit, that we are able to both represent Them, and protect their character when others are misrepresenting them.

Going back to the first two verses I quoted this morning, John adds a couple of comments about the leaders, possibly to set the stage for these words of Jesus.  Verse 43 is  such an excellent gut check for all of us, "Do we love human praise more than praise from God?'  Oh man, that is such a critical question in our life!  We must rightly relate to the Lord, and have Him as our relational foundation for everything!  If the praise of men takes His place we are truly a decrepit creature, one who has lost our connection to our Head (Christ Jesus - 1 Cor 11:3).  

We must also be aware of the danger of spiritual pride, thinking that what we are doing is in some way earning us God's Favor!  Scriptures are quite clear their is no favoritism in God (Romans 2:11), so anytime we think we ae earning kudos from God, or elevating ourselves above others in His eyes, we are listening to lies from the deceiver.

Oh Lord, help us! 

Returning to the primary focus, I love that Jesus has provided a trustworthy representation of the Father.  I am encouraged to read and reread and ponder the Gospels that I might better understand the heart, mind and words of the Father, that I might better represent Him to those I meet, interact with and do life with at home, work and my community. I am encouraged to allow the words and actions of Jesus to become my guiding example of the way to live my life.  I am encouraged that there is much more available in terms of representing the Father than I am presently doing, so I much room for growth and maturation!  

Lord, You know my heart and my desire to live my life aspiring to follow You and represent You to those I meet!  Help me, empower me, and forgive me for my selfish lapses, where I turn my eyes towards myself instead of looking to You.

I pray that You will help us, Your Church, to faithfully represent You to our world!  Help us to continue Your ministry of speaking the Words of the Father, and doing  what the Father shows us to do!  Oh that the world would be able to look at the Church and see You!  That we might be a faithful witness to You!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment