Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, November 10, 2023

Laying Down Our Crowns


Yesterday while taking our dog Tilly for her walk I was thinking and praying and for some reason the image of the elders laying down their crowns (See Rev. 4:10) came into my mind, and I started reflecting on this imagery.  For context, here are the verses - Revelation 4:2-4,9-11 NIV:

[2] "At once I was in the Spirit, and there before me was a throne in heaven with someone sitting on it. [3] And the one who sat there had the appearance of jasper and ruby. A rainbow that shone like an emerald encircled the throne. [4] Surrounding the throne were twenty-four other thrones, and seated on them were twenty-four elders. They were dressed in white and had crowns of gold on their heads."

[9] "Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever, [10] the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say: [11] “You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.”

I have reflected on these verses before, and heard several teachings and my thoughts might be related to any or all of the these, but yesterday they felt fresh.  My first thought was that these crowns were related to the authority, judgements and decisions of the elders.  Laying down their crowns before the Lord, I believe, indicates their recognition and decision that the Lord's authority, judgments and decisions are superior to their own.  It is a if they are saying the only real decision they need to make is to fully trust God with everything.  Every judgement, every decision, every situation, every thought God has is superior to their own!  They are recognizing His superior sovereignty!  I think it is such a beautiful picture of humility in the presence of God.

As I was reflecting on this I was reminded of the following verses from Revelation 5:9-14 NIV:

[9] "And they sang a new song, saying: “You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased for God persons from every tribe and language and people and nation. [10] You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God, and they will reign on the earth.”

[11] Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. [12] In a loud voice they were saying: “

Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!” 

[13] Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying: “To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!” 

[14] The four living creatures said, “Amen,” and the elders fell down and worshiped."

Verse 10 is the significant verse to me today, for we are told that we are a Kingdom of Priests whose role in serving God is to reign on the earth! In other words we each have authority over some sphere, and our authority, decisions and judgments matter.  Here is the Word Help for the Greek word that is translated reign above - Cognate: 936 basileúō (from 935 /basileús, "king") – to reign as king, i.e. exercise dominion (rule).  Clearly we are each a king in some fashion, and we have the same opportunity before us, to lay down our crowns before Him!   We have the opportunity daily, to submit our authority, our decisions, our judgments to His superior Reign in our lives. 

Oh lord, help me today to recognize Your superiority in every area!  Help me to lay down my own judgments and choose instead to trust Your judgments in every area, in every decision, in all my ways!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment