Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, November 27, 2023

Is God Slow?


Yesterday at church our pastor was speaking about the Lord's prayer and mentioned that the part we have learned as "give us this day our daily bread" should actually be translated "give us this day bread for tomorrow."  The Greek word is epiousios:

Definition: for the coming day, for subsistence

Usage: for the morrow, necessary, sufficient.

He talked about how we have a common idea in the church today where we think God comes through just in time, and how to us it seems slow, even at the last minute.  I know I have had that thought and belief as well, and while I certainly always pray for things in advance, my internal belief is that, more often than not, God will come through at the last moment.  I realized that I need to repent and change the way I pray and believe! 

This morning I felt led to go to 2 Peter 3, and came across these related verses, so I guess this is a theme for me to reflect on today.  Here are the verses - 2 Peter 3:8-9 NIV:

[8] "But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. [9] The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."

I find it interesting that Peter was obviously dealing with a similar thought, expressed in verse 9.  I like his explanation that the Lord is not slow, "instead He is patient with you!"   The Lord knows I am impatient, and want things finished now, and I see clearly, as I look back at things, how the Lord was patiently working things together for maximum goodness and glory!  

His plan is multi-year, multi-decade, and multi-generational!  He has so many things He is doing, and we in our finite minds can only really think and plan at best a few months, and maybe a couple of years in advance, and then its more of a wish, for we have no real ability to impact the greater environment and culture and world events.  

Even more important is the fact that the Lord loves each of us, has good plans for each of us, and highly values us!  He is not going to "steam-roll" any of us to cause His plans to come to pass, and that is where He is so different from all of us!  I used to joke with my brothers about blasting the slow car in front of us out of the way so we could go faster!  I might not steam-roll slow drivers in front of me, but I will certainly offer a few angry comments.  This heart is certainly not the heart of God!  Ugh! 

I am very aware today of the need to pray for patience, as the Lord is patient!  I need to change my heart about His ways, and pray that I might embrace them!  I used to always warn others about praying for patience, as that always seemed to open the door for the testing of the Lord by putting every slow driver, and slow walker immediately in front of me! :-)  The truth is that I need to embrace patience, as it is tied to the Lord's mercy and compassion, and I need to be more merciful and compassionate!  

Lord help me to reflect Your patience, Your mercy, Your compassion and Your value for all people.  Help me to examine my heart and mind and see where I need to embrace change!  In the midst of all of this, I pray that You will provide today, bread for tomorrow!  You are so good, help me to embrace Your goodness in all its forms, even Your patience!  :-)

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment