Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, November 18, 2023

Koinonia and Fellowship


This morning I am continuing a reflection from a few days ago.  That morning  I asked the Lord what I should be reading I heard the theme of fellowship drop into my mind, and I immediately figured I would start in Acts 2, which has a section in my Bible subtitled "The Fellowship of Believers" and here are the verses for reflection - Acts 2:42-47 NIV:

[42] "They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. [43] Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. [44] All the believers were together and had everything in common. [45] They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. [46] Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, [47] praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved."

I love these verses, and also recognize the radical sort of community that is described here.  The word translated fellowship is the Greek word koinonia, and it is defined as follows - "Usage: (lit: partnership) (a) contributory help, participation, (b) sharing in, communion, (c) spiritual fellowship, a fellowship in the spirit.  2842 koinōnía (a feminine noun) – properly, what is shared in common as the basis of fellowship (partnership, community)." (from the Discovery Bible).

As we read these verses and the definitions, I am aware of how we like to limit our definition of fellowship today.  The whole idea of sharing their possessions, holding things in common, meeting one another's needs seems a bit foreign in today's modern American community, unless there is some sort of communal hardship like a blizzard or something similar.  We like fellowship that is easy, shallow and that doesn't require much beyond our time, and occasionally our food.  As I read these verses, it is clear to me that verses 44-47 are just describing what koinonia looked like and how they functioned in it.

It is important to note that there are 3000+ people about which these things are being said, and I find that amazing.  We are blessed with some awesome friends, and despite years of friendship it would be very few people with whom I could say I had this type of relationship, and then only occasionally.  

What would it look like if a group of people really decided to live out koinonia in radical way?

First, I would say that if it was their "idea" they would fail utterly!  It is absolutely clear that this Acts 2 koinonia was Holy Spirit inspired and empowered!  There had to be a deep trust in Holy Spirit, a deep opening up of lives, a laying down everything, that goes beyond our normal or natural comfort and mindset.  There was supernatural component that was being expressed in the natural!  Jesus had commanded that they love one another as He had loved them (John 13:34), and this shared life seems to me to be an expression of that command. 

If we were to go back and reflect on the few times we see the communal life of the apostles and disciples described, and not just alluded to, I think we would find precedence for this way of living.  They had left everything to follow Jesus (Luke 5:11) and it seems that they had little with them that was their own (Matt 8:20).  They shared meals together (Matt 15:34-35), they apparently traveled and stayed together, the series the Chosen does a good job putting some of what must have been their reality into view.  I know at times I just read on over passages and don't think about the normal stuff, like where did they sleep, eat, go to the bathroom, etc., when they were out in the wilderness, but they absolutely had to do those things, and must have done so together (except for the going to the bathroom!).

Again, the point is that the following of Jesus, the empowering of the Holy Spirit is meant to change the way we live!  We are not called to be like everyone else, and neither is our approach to life.  Jesus said it very clearly, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” ( John 13:34-35 NIV)  One of our most significant identifiable characteristics is supposed to be how we love one another!  

This word is just pounding on my idea of how my life should look, how I plan for retirement, how I think about my material possessions, how I think about my time and attention. The question at this point isn't will you sell everything and give to the poor (See Mark 10:21) but whether I would be willing to do so?  Am I willing to effectively sign over my ownership rights to the Holy Spirit?  Am I willing to lay down my crown, my dominion over my stuff, before the Lord?  Taking it even further, am I willing to love others in the same way Jesus loves me?  

I know the Lord understands our struggle in these areas, and I know He is gentle and loving and merciful.  I also know that He has called us to follow Him, and represent Him, and its pretty hard to do that if we don't act like Him, which includes loving others as He loves them.  He holds nothing back in His love for us (see Romans 8:32) and if we allow Holy Spirit to touch the deepest parts of our lives, I believe we will be empowered to step past our "this is mine" mentality, and begin to live and love the way Jesus did!  Again, to be clear, this wasn't a human inspired plan, this was Holy Spirit inspired and directed and embracing this type of life is only possible through Him.  If we try in our humanness to make this happen we end up with a cult or communism, and neither of these is healthy or God blessed.

My encouragement this morning is to press into these words in my life and allow them to penetrate deeply!  I am encouraged to look at my way of thinking and acting and compare them against this way of life that I might see where I am unwilling to lay something down, or release ownership or control.  Lord, help me to open my life to You, first, that I might open it to others as You direct, inspire and empower!  Help me to be open to koinonia as You lead me further on in You!

Amen and Amen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment