Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Love Each Other Deeply


This morning I was reading in first Peter and felt like reflecting on a couple of verses that span a chapter break.  I figured I would put them together, here they are:

1 Peter 1:13-25 NIV:

[13] "Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. [14] As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. [15] But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; [16] for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.” 

[17] Since you call on a Father who judges each person's work impartially, live out your time as foreigners here in reverent fear. [18] For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, [19] but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. [20] He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake. [21] Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God. 

[22] Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart. [23] For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. 

[24] For, “All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, [25] but the word of the Lord endures forever.” And this is the word that was preached to you."

- and - 1 Peter 2:1-3 NIV:

[1] "Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. [2] Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, [3] now that you have tasted that the Lord is good."

I like breaking down the logic of verses, and when I read a "therefore" I like to go back and see what its there for!  In this case the statement Peter writes in 1 Peter 2:1 is based on what he wrote in preceding paragraphs.  My focus is verse 1, and his call to get rid of such things.  The expanded definitions of each of the words is very helpful and a helpful internal reflection (although I didn't include them here for brevity), for I want to see if any of these exist in my heart and mind, that I might get rid of them!  

The reason to get rid of these is found in the verses from the first chapter.  We are called to be holy as God is holy, in other words, to represent Him, to be like Him.  We are called to reflect upon our own salvation and redemption, bought for us through the precious blood of Jesus.  This is true of each of us, none has earned our own redemption, all have received it through the grace offered us in Christ!  

This fact, that we are all here at the personal invitation of Jesus should cause our love for one another to blossom, for we are all born again into a new family!  However, as in all relationships, love is not just a feeling, we must choose to love each other deeply!   The Greek word here translated deeply is the word ektenṓs (an adverb) – properly, fully-stretched, i.e. describing the verbal idea as extended out, to its necessary (full) potential ("without slack"); strenuously, without undue let up (as "completely taut"). 

I wrote about love covering a multitude of sins, taken from 1 Peter 4:7-11 and he uses this same basic Greek word there, and it may very well be an extension of the thought that begins here in verse 22, quoted above. If you desire to read that reflection it can be found at - https://amomentwithgod-srh.blogspot.com/2023/11/does-love-cover-multitude-of-sins.html

The idea of love stretching us, is so helpful, at least to me.  I would prefer love that is easy and has the most benefits to me.  I guess honestly, I would prefer love to be completely selfish, self focused, or self benefitting.   This idea of loving others in a way that stretches us is such an important invitation.  

The list of words in 1 Peter 2:1 are all self-focused and are essentially the fruit of that selfishness.  It is impossible, at least in my estimation, to be selfish, self-focused and actually love another or others well, if at all.  

We are called to get RID of these things, or as the Greek word apotithemi is defined to put it off, to lay it aside, to renounce it.  It is interesting in that a few of those Greek words have jealousy as a part or motivation, and I think that seems correct to me.  Jealousy is a terrible thing in the hands, mind and heart of a wounded person.  Out of jealousy we gladly will hand out wounds, and try to somehow bring others down to our own level of depravity and pain.  The call is to get rid or lay aside these things, and it is something we need to choose to do!  We need to be willing to lay down any offense, any jealousy, and anger at our situation, and ask the Lord to fill us with real love for one another, our brothers and sisters in this new family that we have been invited into!  

I like how Peter calls this "pure spiritual milk", bringing forth an image of nursing infants.  We are invited to crave it... which is interesting, in that you can't crave something you haven't tasted.  This is why it is so important for us to live our life of love with one another.  Our love is supposed to be the light that shines in this dark world, that shows people there is a better way, and gives them a taste!  It is part of what we are supposed to crave!  

If we think about our lives, don't we all crave acceptance, true identity, being surrounded by people who accept us for who we are and choose to love us?  We have in us this longing for this experience, and at the same time this longing for things eternal and the good news is that we can experience both in the Body of Christ!  We are supposed to be different than the world, or as Peter says, "the empty way of life" (1 Peter 1:18) or life lived in ignorance (1 Peter 1:14).  Life in the Body of Christ is supposed to be full, fulfilling, nurturing, nourishing and helping us to grow!  Once tasted, our appetite for this real life should increase, and we should find ourselves, growing, maturing, developing, and loving one another deeply.  

As I was thinking about these, I have realized at different times this was not my experience in the Body of Christ, and the Lord has moved me forward to a place where I could experience and participate in a this life!  I am grateful that the Lord's plan for me includes life connected with loving brothers and sisters.  I am grateful for the real nourishment for my soul!

Thank you Lord for your constant invitation to taste and see that You ARE Good!

May the Lord bless you and pour out His love on you in this Christmas season!

No comments:

Post a Comment