Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, December 23, 2023

Paybacks Are A Blessing!


This morning I am continuing my reading of 1 Peter, I am into the third chapter today and reflecting on the following verses - 1 Peter 3:8-12 NIV:

[8] "Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. [9] Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing." 

[10] For, “Whoever would love life and see good days must keep their tongue from evil and their lips from deceitful speech. [11] They must turn from evil and do good; they must seek peace and pursue it. [12] For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.”

I was just thinking through these verses and was reflecting on how strange verse 9 is to put into practice.  We have a saying that "paybacks are a b**ch", and Peter is saying that we should make it "paybacks are a blessing!"  Man, that just doesn't roll off my tongue easily, and I certainly struggle to do this in my day-to-day life!

In our limited and self-focused world, we have this idea of fairness and justice, and our call here is to lay those down and love, bless, extend mercy, compassion and love to all, regardless of their sins and actions towards us.  Jesus is our perfect example of this attitude and action.  Paul writes the following in his letter to the Romans 5:6-8 NIV:  "You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. [7] Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. [8] But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

In other words, Jesus repaid our sins with salvation!  

Wow!

One of my favorite Authors, Graham Cooke, shared of a time that his ministry was being attacked by another local minister.  As he brought this to the Lord and asked what he should do, the Lord asked him to bless this other minister financially, and anonymously. He would get envelopes, fill them with cash and deposit them in this other  minister's mailbox, for months.  Doesn't that just make your mind and heart tilt?

Imagine if we lived our lives this way!  

On one hand, I think that I would get taken advantage of constantly!  People could say or do whatever they wanted and all I would ever do would be to bless them! I would expect to get run over and have no way to restore my self-esteem, my self-worth and my own sense of justice.  I would likely be angry and feel abused (just being real!).  (This is clerly my selfishness talking!)

However, imagine what our life would be like in a body of believers that embraced this whole word.  We are called to be "like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble."  Imagine if we learned to respond to harsh words with blessings!  Imagine how your disagreements with your spouse would be changed!  Peter is not talking about the tongue in cheek blessing used in the South, "well, bless his heart!", but rather real blessing, speaking positive words, embracing in love, compassion and sympathy!  

Frankly, I have a hard time even imagining what this would look or sound like, it is so foreign to me!

This morning I am encouraged to look at my life and see how I can live my life speaking blessings!  I am encouraged to be more loving, compassionate, sympathetic, humble and gentle in my dealings with others, especially those that I struggle with! 

Oh Lord, I need Your help!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment