Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, February 9, 2024

Foundation on Rock


This morning I felt like the theme of my prayer should be the rock of our faith.  As I was resting and waiting I had a couple of "rock" verses pop into my mind, which had nothing to do with any other thoughts, so it seems like a directive word and theme.  I initially was thinking about some of the Old Testament verses but then remembered Jesus speaking about building our house on the rock.  Here are the verses from Matthew 7:24-27 NIV:

[24]  “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. [25] The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. [26] But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. [27] The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

The key point here is found in verse 24, it is not the "hearing" but the 'putting into practice Jesus' teaching that is critical.  If we only listen and do nothing, changing nothing about our behavior or thoughts, we may appear the same externally, but the results will be very different when difficulty comes.  

I was just thinking that there is a significant difference in the commitment to build between these two examples the Lord give us.  Digging down to the rock is what would be required here in KC, for most locations.  We don't have much exposed rock.  Even if it was exposed, building on rock requires a different approach to building a foundation.  If building in sand or earth  you dig a hole down a bit, make sure its level, compacted a bit and then lay the foundation, all the same level, very basic building block construction.  Building on rock requires you to drill into the rock, setting anchors in place.  Rock is generally not perfectly level, so building a level foundation requires much more planning and careful construction to bring the foundation to a point of being level all around.  Building on sand can be accomplished quickly, while building on rock will take longer, and will require some expertise.  However the longevity of the two variants is extremely different, and that I believe is Jesus' real point here.

Jesus likens our hearing His Words and acting on them as  one who builds on rock.  His teaching is foundational truth, and we must make the effort to connect to it, to choose to change our thinking and our acting.  This doesn't just happen, it requires real effort, and a commitment of time and energy. In my life it requires study, prayer, reading the word over and over, and a commitment to being discipled by Him.  In my experience this is not optional.  My daily investment in my faith, in growing my relationship, in learning and hearing and embracing His word is all part of my continued efforts to be anchored to my Rock (Ps 18:2).  

Most of the time that I have read these verses I have had the perspective that the rain, wind and waters that rose against the house were external circumstances, and troubles, however this morning as I was thinking about my own efforts to stay connected to His words, I realized that most of the time the battle is in my mind, in how I think, in what I think about, in how I perceive situations. There is a regular attacking of my mindset, my thinking that comes from the worldview that surrounds me, my own selfish desires, and finally from the enemy who tries to accuse God of being unloving, uncaring, unmerciful, and angry towards me.  My primary battle in life is not the external difficulties but that which assails me internally.  

My daily regimen of being in the word, of allowing His word to bring conviction, of choosing to change the way I think and act is how I combat those things that assail me.  Knowing the Word, trusting the Word, knowing who I am according to the Word of God is essential.  I guess as I think about it, this building and connecting to the Rock is a daily effort.  Maybe I am weak that way, but in my life this is the case.  My choosing to continue to mine the Word gives me the wherewithal to stand on these truths.

Lord I pray that I might continue to trust in Your Words, believing and embracing what you say about me and my life.  I desire to stand firm every day.  Lord, thank You for Your clear direction, Your words of Life, and Your willingness to disciple me.

Amen and Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment