Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, February 23, 2024

The Great Invitation


This morning I was reading through John's Gospel. Yesterday while traveling I was reading through some of my earlier writing and the particular entries were about Jesus representing the Father perfectly.  This morning that theme was once again the focus of my reading.  Here are the verses - John 8:12-19,27-30 NIV:

[12] "When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” 

[13] The Pharisees challenged him, “Here you are, appearing as your own witness; your testimony is not valid.” 

[14] Jesus answered, “Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going. [15] You judge by human standards; I pass judgment on no one. [16] But if I do judge, my decisions are true, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father, who sent me. [17] In your own Law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is true. [18] I am one who testifies for myself; my other witness is the Father, who sent me.” 

[19] Then they asked him, “Where is your father?” “You do not know me or my Father,” Jesus replied. “If you knew me, you would know my Father also.” 

[27] They did not understand that he was telling them about his Father. 

[28] So Jesus said, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me. [29] The one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what pleases him.” 

[30] Even as he spoke, many believed in him."

The verse that really stands out to me is the end verse 19, where Jesus says, “If you knew me, you would know my Father also.”   This is such a monumental statement!  I don't think I could say the same thing about my earthly father, for I didn't know him well enough to be able to say that I could represent him in all ways.  I look somewhat like him, have some similar mannerisms, and even have some idea of his heart and mind, but I could never say, if you have known me you have known my Father.

Jesus speaks about the importance of knowing the Father, of His intimacy, and equates this with eternal life, in fact he speaks about Eternal life quite often, and John captured many of those times in his Gospel.  I was just looking at all the verses this morning and think that might be a very interesting study.  He wraps them all into a single statement in John 17:3 NIV: "Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."  

Jesus goes on to say that their plan and purpose is for us all to be part of their relationship, and in deep relationship with each other.  Jesus continues on praying for us in His final prayer, as captured by John 17:20-23 NIV: 

[20] “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, [21] that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. [22] I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one--- [23] I in them and you in me---so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me."

I guess the point here is that the level of intimacy that Jesus has with the Father is our invitation as well.  We are invited into this deeply intimate relationship, for the Lord desires us to be loved sons and daughters, those that know Him, who know His love and represent that love to the world.  We are invited into that Holy unity, and that is something that will be a sign to the world of God's love.

There is so much to think upon in these verses, and I clearly have much ground to advance.  As I reflect on this theme I see where I am needing to change how I think throughout the day.  I am so rarely focused on representing the Lord in my daily moment to moment existence.  Lord, I don't know how to do this, but I know You do, and that Your help is all I really need.  

Thank You for Your patience, compassion, love and mercy.

Amen and Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment