Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Jesus and Pharisees, Enemies?


This morning I was reading through Luke's Gospel, Chapter 13.  As is often the case I ask the Lord where I should read and receive some direction, often book and chapter, and then I begin the treasure hunt of finding the verses that are highlighted to my spirit.  This morning I was struck by the last few verses in the chapter, and decided to take some time reflecting on them.  Here are the verses - Luke 13:31-35 NIV:

[31] "At that time some Pharisees came to Jesus and said to him, “Leave this place and go somewhere else. Herod wants to kill you.” [32] He replied, “Go tell that fox, 'I will keep on driving out demons and healing people today and tomorrow, and on the third day I will reach my goal.' [33] In any case, I must press on today and tomorrow and the next day---for surely no prophet can die outside Jerusalem! 

[34] “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing. [35] Look, your house is left to you desolate. I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.' ”

The first thing that caught my attention was the fact that the Pharisees seemed to be warning Jesus, in a helpful way.  So often in scripture we see the Pharisees as the enemies of Jesus, and this verse seemed out of character with that representation.  One of the things that I have noticed is that Jesus didn't seem to treat them as enemies, more as bad guides who were misrepresenting Him and His Father.  He engaged them constantly in conversations throughout the breadth of His ministry, welcomed invitations to their homes (Luke 7:36, Luke 14:1), and even private meetings (John 3:1).  I think they saw Him as a dangerous challenger to their power and role as the lead teachers in Israel, but Jesus was sent for all sinners, the Pharisees included.  

I am of the opinion that Jesus was always able to see the real person, their heart, mind and spirit.  He was always issuing the invitation to changing the way they thought (repentance) and relationship with Him.  He wasn't going to just affix a label and and judge them based on that label.  He always judges perfectly, and looks at all with the eyes of love, mercy, and compassion.  He looks at them with the heart of their creator and knows their potential and value as one of His creations, created in His likeness.

I often struggle with a judgmental attitude towards those who hold different ideas, different beliefs, different cultural practices.  I work hard not to act on these judgments, but my wife can attest that while driving, I sometimes give full verbal vent to my judgments, based solely on how someone is driving.  Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!  I am so grateful that the Lord doesn't judge me from single interaction, a single snap judgment!  

Continuing on in the verses, we find Jesus lamenting over Jerusalem, because He longs to gather them, yet they have rejected Him.  I am thinking this is His heart towards all that reject Him, and it is not anger, but sorrow.  I am reminded of the famous verses found in John 3:16-17 NIV: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."

Oh, that we would have the same heart and mind as our Lord!  Lord, help us to look at all, even those who oppose or disagree with us as individuals You love and offer salvation to through Your great gift of Grace!  You love all, desire all to come to You to be saved!  You long to gather us all, to protect and love us!  

Help us to open our eyes, ears and hearts to respond to this great invitation.  Help us to share Your invitation with all, laying down our judgments and biases, instead choosing to love and welcome all, regardless of any differences between us!

Amen and Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment