Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Gospel and Doctrine

Recently I have been thinking about the Gospel. I came across those verses from Paul's first letter to Timothy - 1 Timothy 1:12-17 NIV:

[12] "I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service. [13] Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. [14] The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. [15] Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners---of whom I am the worst. [16] But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. [17] Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen."

I think sometimes we forget the reality of the Gospel, and get all caught up in discussions of doctrine and belief. What we think about God is so important. We still need to understand doctrine, and the truths about the Lord, but our first call is to introduce people to the Lord. The Gospel is first and foremost about relationship with the Lord.

Continuing on with this thought, doctrine arises out of our understanding of who God is, from our interactions with Him, and those that are described in the Bible. Pastor Bill Johnson says it well, "Jesus is perfect theology". In other words as we come to know Him, our understanding of who He is, how He thinks, and how He acts is clarified. Our doctrine needs to flow out of and agree with the revelation of God, and this needs to come within relationship.

Josh McDowell said that rules without relationship leads to rebellion. He was talking about parenting, but that same thought applies here. If we confront people with doctrine, before they have a relationship with the Lord, they will misunderstand the motivation of the doctrine, and often times be driven away. It is important to have doctrine, and it establishes how to think correctly, but it must flow out of, and be communicated through the Gospel, the good news that God loved us so much that He sent His Son to pay for our sins, so that we might be forgiven and able to enter fully into relationship as adopted sons and daughters. Paul was very much on that page when he wrote the following verses, speaking of doctrine that conforms to the Gospel and is used properly:

1 Timothy 1:8-11 NIV
We know that the law is good if one uses it properly. [9] We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, [10] for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers---and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine [11] that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.

The other morning when I woke up, I had this thought - we must preach the Gospel and teach doctrine, not the other way around. I think that summarizes the issue nicely. Lord, help us to hold onto the truth, proclaim the Gospel of the Kingdom of Heaven here on earth, and teach those that desire discipleship the doctrine of the Church. Help us to be balanced and appropriate, and above all, loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment