Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Being Found In Him

I was just thinking over the last year and looking forward to next year, and praying about a focus for 2014 and the Lord reminded me of Paul's statement in his letter to the Philippians 3:8-9 NIV:

[8] "What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ [9] and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ---the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith."

Not that we literally have to lose all things, but rather that in the light of Christ Jesus, they become as nothing, as so much garbage, quoting Paul. To know Jesus is of such significance that Paul considered everything else worthless. My desire this year is to move closer to Paul's statement in my own life. I want to grow in my knowledge of Jesus, not my head knowledge, but rather my heart knowledge. I want to be found in Him. The Greek word, here translated found is worth a quick look, for its definition is rich and helpful. The word is Heurisko:

Definition

1. to come upon, hit upon, to meet with
a. after searching, to find a thing sought
b. without previous search, to find (by chance), to fall in with
c. those who come or return to a place

2. to find by enquiry, thought, examination, scrutiny, observation, to find out by practice and experience
a. to see, learn, discover, understand
b. to be found i.e. to be seen, be present
c. to be discovered, recognised, detected, to show one's self out, of one's character or state as found out by others (men, God, or both)
d. to get knowledge of, come to know, God

3. to find out for one's self, to acquire, get, obtain, procure

Such a simple statement -wanting to be found in Him - but the meaning is so much more. Yes, Lord I want to be found in You, I want to meet wth You. I want to discover myself through You. I want come to understand You through inquiry, examination, exploration, observation and experience.

Yes Lord, this is what I want for my New Year's resolution - to be found in You.

No comments:

Post a Comment