Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Reflections on the Lion's Den

This morning I am reading out of Daniel once again, and in Chapter 6 is the story of Daniel in the Lion's den (Daniel 6:1-28). Without recounting the whole story, Daniel was living a life above reproach, and was highly successful because of the blessing of God. Others were jealous of his success and favor, and they tried to set him up, knowing there was no other fault they could exploit to cause him harm. They figured the one area that he would never compromise in was his worship of God. They were right, and because of Daniel's integrity before God, he was thrown into the Lion's den.

So a couple of observations:


1) Daniel was above reproach in his life. His witness was consistent and his character unimpeachable. This says much about the man, and the life that he lived in the eyes of those around him, and in private. It was because of this that He rose to authority and influence. Oh that we would learn, and choose to walk in this way before man and God, that our witness would be unimpeachable.

2) Even though Daniel was faithful in all things, the enemy was still able to cause him trouble. There are two incorrect attitudes that exist in the Body of Christ. The first being that God's blessing in our lives will never result in difficulty. The second is closely related, namely that if the first thought is true, than anyone who is experiencing difficulty must be outside of God's will somehow. This story shows that both of the those assumptions are incorrect. I know in my life, when I experience trouble, I am quick to wonder how could this happen to me (first incorrect attitude) followed closely by wondering if I have down something wrong (an indication that I have embraced the second incorrect attitude to some degree). In addition to seeing this in me, I also ran into these same attitudes in the people around me. When I was unemployed the last time, I had several well-meaning but wrong people tell me, or insinuate that it was probably due to some rebellious attitude in my heart or life, that I was unemployed.

3). That in the midst of difficulty, God will rescue His chosen servant and often bring vengeance on the enemy. I find this story very encouraging, as Daniel didn't worry about defending himself, or battle his accusers, but rather rested in God, trusting in His protection. He went through a hellacious night, but was redeemed and restored and avenged in the morning. God was glorified in a way that was impossible to deny, and Daniel was prospered. His integrity and character, and belief in God, not to mention the Angelic help, got him through this experience. I wonder how many times he was tempted to think that God didn't love him, or didn't care for him throughout the night? I wonder how many different ways he thought of defending himself, or exacting his own vengeance? These are the things the enemy wants us to focus on, rather than worshipping God in the midst of our difficulty.

4). Although it probably didn't seem like it at midnight, God had a plan to prosper and bless Daniel through this whole experience. He also had a plan to glorify His own Name. One of my favorite Catholic authors, St. Alphonsus De Ligouri said that in all things God will be glorified and we will be further sancitified, if we turn to God. Often times in the midst of the struggle I don't see either happening, or I have some human idea that doesn't align with God's character or will, usually involving my reaping revenge. If I can turn my eyes to the Lord and entrust myself to Him, my eyes are opened and I can see His provision in the moment, and the unveiling of His greater plan and purpose.

So, if we find ourselves in the midst of the Lion's den, let us be encouraged, God has a plan, and its good!

No comments:

Post a Comment