Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

React or Respond

Last night, I had some dream where I was talking about the difference between responding and reacting.  As Christians, when we respond we should take a minute to actually analyse a situation, refer to scripture if necessary, understand how we should view the situation, then decide how to respond.  When we react, we are generally doing none of these, and going with our gut, whether it makes sense, or is just driven by emotion.  In my opinion, as a mature Christian, we are called to respond rather than react, as this provides us time to gain the Lord's perspective on our situation, and enables us to choose how we will act.

I notice in my life that if I just pause and let the initial wave of reactive urges pass, I am much more likely to respond in a Christ-like manner.  My own selfishness will almost always rise up, if I react.  It is in responding and turning to the Lord that I am able to bring my heart to a place of peace and ask for His guidance and direction and then choose how I will respond.  In that momentary pause, I resist the thoughts and temptations that are pumped into my brain by my flesh and the enemy, and they generally become silent, allowing me to hear the Lord.

I am reminded of a couple of verses -

Ephesians 2:3 NIV: "All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath."

Philippians 3:18-20 NIV:
[18] "For, as I have often told you before and now tell you again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. [19] Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things. [20] But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ,.."

James 4:7 NIV: "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."

Philippians 3:15 NIV: "All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you."

Lord, I pray that You will help me to respond, rather than react.  Help me to be like You in everything, in every way. Help me to gain control over my life and reactions and bring them in line with Your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment