Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, December 21, 2015

Carrying God's Presence

So this morning I am reading through 1 Chronicles, which is definitely not my normal reading selection.  When I am considering what to read in the morning, I try and reflect and ask the Lord to direct me as to what I should read. This morning as I waited on the Lord, I remembered in the middle of the night looking at the clock at 1:31am.  For some reason I thought it said 13:13.  In the past the Lord has directed my reading through highlighting numbers, either a page number or chapter and verse combination, and I thought when I remembered this strange occurrence that maybe this was one of those times.  When i opened my bible I  thought I would read the 13 chapter of the 13th book, which happens to be 1 Chronicles.

That explanation might seem strange, but historically I have found that the Lord speaks to me in many different ways.  I want to be listening and learning how He speaks, so that I can be directed by Him daily.  He often highlights numbers, either in my mind, or through some external source, and when I follow what appears to be His leading, more often then not it is to a significant or helpful word.  Almost always, I feel that He is directing me into His word, as the foundation for any revelation, and today this would be an accurate description.

Over the last few days, weeks and even years, I have been reflecting on the manifest presence of the Lord, the Glory of the Lord, His presence bringing true revival, the power and authority to heal, and such topics.  I have been reflecting upon how much of the church does not see the power or Glory of God evident in their daily lives and experiences, and longing to see that changed.  When God visits His people with His presence, they are affected powerfully.  This is the foundation upon which I reflect upon the scriptures this morning.

In 1 Chron 13, we find the story of David's first effort to return the Ark of God back to Israel, for it had been captured by the Philistines (1 Samuel 4).  The Ark of God represented the very presence of God in the midst of Israel, His awesome Glory, and Israel had lost it. It had been lost and Israel had not sought it out for many years, instead relying on their new King, Saul to lead them and guide them, the is the backdrop for these verses - 1 Chronicles 13:1-10 NIV:

[1] "David conferred with each of his officers, the commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds. [2] He then said to the whole assembly of Israel, “If it seems good to you and if it is the will of the Lord our God, let us send word far and wide to the rest of our people throughout the territories of Israel, and also to the priests and Levites who are with them in their towns and pasturelands, to come and join us. [3] Let us bring the ark of our God back to us, for we did not inquire of it during the reign of Saul.” [4] The whole assembly agreed to do this, because it seemed right to all the people.

[5] So David assembled all Israel, from the Shihor River in Egypt to Lebo Hamath, to bring the ark of God from Kiriath Jearim. [6] David and all Israel went to Baalah of Judah (Kiriath Jearim) to bring up from there the ark of God the Lord, who is enthroned between the cherubim---the ark that is called by the Name.

[7] They moved the ark of God from Abinadab's house on a new cart, with Uzzah and Ahio guiding it. [8] David and all the Israelites were celebrating with all their might before God, with songs and with harps, lyres, timbrels, cymbals and trumpets.

[9] When they came to the threshing floor of Kidon, Uzzah reached out his hand to steady the ark, because the oxen stumbled. [10] The Lord's anger burned against Uzzah, and he struck him down because he had put his hand on the ark. So he died there before God."

There are many commentaries on these verses, and many of them seek to explain why God struck down Uzzah for touching the Ark.  This morning I just want to consider these verses from the perspective of trying to return the Glory of God to Israel, for that is literally what they were about, and that is essentially what I have been reflecting on these past days, weeks and years.

Firstly, David's desire to return the Ark of the Covenant is clearly a good thing, even God inspired.  The Ark of the Covenant was where God chose to dwell  "enthroned between the cherubim" and David knew that God's presence and Glory were critical to Israel's future.  I think the first mistake is that He inquired of the people and his military commanders, not the prophets of God, nor the book of the Law both representative of the Word of God.  So rather than asking God, he asks the people what they think.

Secondly, because they did not confer with the Word of God, they decided they could move the ark faster in a wagon pulled by oxen.  The directions for moving the Ark of the Covenant are very clearly laid out in Numbers 4 and Exodus 25, Deuteronomy 10, and it was to be carried by men of the tribe of Levi, members of the priesthood.  In Numbers 4 there was a clear warning against touching anything resulting in death, so the priests should have known that they were supposed to carry the ark and no one should touch it at all.  Thus, the approach they took to returning the Ark was wrong from the start.  They were using a cart to move the Ark, something that man had built, rather than bearing the Ark of His Presence upon their own shoulders.  I would imagine they chose the cart as a quicker way to move the Ark, and it was obviously easier as well.

Thirdly, it seemed they were so busy celebrating the soon return of God's Glory, they totally didn't give His presence the respect and significance it deserved.  The Ark was meant to be carried by 8 men, walking in unison.  Two men walking beside the cart upon which it was loaded is not ascribing the correct significance to the presence of God. I think they were looking to the effects the Ark would have on them, rather than rejoicing in the presence of God.  God's presence is meant to be borne by men, it is not meant to be accelerated by the conveyances of man, nor taken lightly.

Finally, David becomes angry and frightened of God, after Uzzah dies.  He leaves the Ark in the house of Odeb-Edom and returns to Jerusalem (1 Chron 13:11-14).  The good news is that David learned from His mistakes over the next three months.  He starts inquiring of the Lord rather then the people, he researches the right way to bring the Ark of God back to Israel.  In 1 Chron 15, we see David applying that which he learned and directing the people and priests correctly in the bringing the Ark back to Jerusalem on the shoulders of 8 priests.

Summarizing my learning this morning -

1) God desires His Glory to be with His people
2) His presence is meant to be carried by men (people) not machines or conveyances
3) We must ascribe the correct significance to Him and His presence, desiring Him present not for the effects of His presence, but to simply be in His presence.  His presence causes blessing (1 Chron 13: 14) but the blessing should not be the reason we seek His presence.

Lord, I pray that You will guide us and direct us as to how to return Your Glory to the church!  We desire to see You present once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment