Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, December 24, 2015

God Moves in Unexpected Ways

This morning I am reflecting on the story of Jesus' birth, from Luke's Gospel - Luke 2:1-7 NIV:

[1] "In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. [2] (This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria.) [3] And everyone went to their own town to register.

[4] So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. [5] He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. [6] While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, [7] and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them."

I was thinking recently that this is just a very interesting story and tells us much about God's character.  The first thing that strikes me is that God doesn't do things the way we would think He would do them.  Rather then a kingly birth he is born in a stable.  Rather then a royal family, he is born to a carpenter and his young wife, who aren't even married yet.  Rather than being able to rest at home and enjoy His birth, Mary is forced to ride a donkey many miles (almost 100 miles), in the 9th month of her pregnancy.  Rather than coming as a powerful leader, Jesus comes to us as a helpless human baby.  God picks this time for His Son to appear.  He is born to a lowly unmarried couple, who live in a small town far the center of the nation, who are part of a conquered people living under Roman rule. This is just not what you would think God would arrange for His Son!

This tells me a few things:

1) God isn't worried about pomp and regality, drawing attention to Himself or what He is doing
2) God works in ways that are sometimes uncomfortable, illogical, and out of our comfort-zone
3) God isn't worried about the rules or laws of religion, those are made for us, not for Him
4) God isn't worried about our opinions or thoughts about how He should do things
5) God is capable of making any circumstance work to His Glory and purposes
6) God is willing to entrust great things and purposes to people like you and me

This morning I am encouraged that God can be at work in my life in many ways, especially in ways I would not expect.  He is not like me, does not think like me, yet loves me and has purposes for me.  I must not limit myself to my understandings or expectations, but rather be open to the Lord moving in quiet, unseen, even hidden ways.  I must recognize that God sometimes, maybe often times chooses the lowly and down-trodden, out of the way people to birth huge changes and moves of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment