Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, December 26, 2015

Water From the Rock

This morning I felt like I should reflect on the story of 'the water from the rock' found in Exodus 17:1-7 NIV:

[1] "The whole Israelite community set out from the Desert of Sin, traveling from place to place as the Lord commanded. They camped at Rephidim, but there was no water for the people to drink. [2] So they quarreled with Moses and said, “Give us water to drink.” Moses replied, “Why do you quarrel with me? Why do you put the Lord to the test?”

[3] But the people were thirsty for water there, and they grumbled against Moses. They said, “Why did you bring us up out of Egypt to make us and our children and livestock die of thirst?”

[4] Then Moses cried out to the Lord, “What am I to do with these people? They are almost ready to stone me.”

[5] The Lord answered Moses, “Go out in front of the people. Take with you some of the elders of Israel and take in your hand the staff with which you struck the Nile, and go. [6] I will stand there before you by the rock at Horeb. Strike the rock, and water will come out of it for the people to drink.” So Moses did this in the sight of the elders of Israel. [7] And he called the place Massah and Meribah because the Israelites quarreled and because they tested the Lord saying, “Is the Lord among us or not?”

A couple of things pop into my mind immediately:

First, the Hebrew people were persistent in their unbelief and ungratefulness.  They were always more worried about what God was going to do today, rather than thinking about what God did yesterday and how that revealed His character and faithfulness in caring for them.  I am reminded of how often I am exactly like this, immediately starting to complain if something doesn't go my way.

Secondly, they were in this place because they were following God, as He directed them.  God had a plan.  He always does, and He was going to provide for them, as He promised He would, but the people weren't willing to wait on God.

Their perspective, once again was limited by the present situation, not having learned about God's blessing and provision from His previous acts and interactions.  He had previously provided manna and quail, had purified poisoned water, and safely protected them from the pursuing Egyptian army, a location without water was not going to be a problem for God.  The people, however, were quick to complain and grumble.

I know that by following the Lord, I have several times found myself in apparently difficult situations, and in those times I am quick to follow the Hebrew people's example of grumbling and complaining. As I think about this, I realize that this is a symptom of a unrenewed mindset, and wrong identity.  The Hebrew people were no longer slaves, they were God's chosen people, the people of His promise, but their mind-set was still slave-like.  Slaves have no choice and no freedom, and when things are difficult they complain and grumble, for that is all they can do.  Slaves are justified in their complaints against unfair and cruel masters.

The problem is that God isn't like their former masters and they were no longer slaves, they were His chosen people.  He loved them, chose them and promised to take care of them and protect them.  The people didn't trust God, didn't trust Moses, and were convinced they would have been better off to have stayed in Egypt.  They were deluded in their thinking, as we can clearly see from our perspective, but in the midst of it all, they could not see their wrong perspective.

In the same way, my sometime struggles in believing God are the result of an unrenewed mind, and wrong identity.  I am thinking like someone who hasn't met or experienced God's love, and I am not embracing my identity as His son, whom He greatly loves.  As Paul says in his letter to Colossians 3:1-14 NIV:

[1] "Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. [2] Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. [3] For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. [4] When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory."

[5] "Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. [6] Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. [7] You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. [8] But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. [9] Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices [10] and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. [11] Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all."

[12] "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. [13] Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. [14] And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity."

Amen!  Help me Lord to clothe myself in what is from You, embracing my new identity as Your son, holy and dearly loved.  Help me to fully believe in You, Your Word, Your promise and Your timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment