Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Joy for Sadness

This morning I was reflecting on my present spiritual dryness, something that is directly related to grieving the loss of my earthly father.  I am dry, almost lifeless in my spirit, and lack pretty much all motivation.  I am surprised somewhat by this season, but then I was surprised by my father's passing as well.  There are many extenuating circumstances as well, so overall I would say I am feeling pressed and drained on most every side.

This is what I love about the Lord, He understands my situation, my heart condition and He cares and is not bothered by my honesty and difficulty.  I can tell Him  exactly how I feel and He is not offended.  What I really need is more of Him, more interaction with Him, for He is the source of all life, He is the life (John 14:6).

So, as I was sitting here thinking about my present state, I asked the Lord to lead me to someplace in scripture that would minister to my present state.  I sometime receive the impression of a number when I ask for direction, which usually relates to a verse or page number.  This morning I received the impression of the number 1117, which I thought referred to a page number, when I turned there in my Bible, I found myself in the concordance in the back of the bible, in the Rs, and as I was reading down the list of the words on the page, one word caught my eye "revive".  I hadn't even thought of that word in my meditation on my present state, but that is exactly what I need, revival, as in life being breathed back into my life, a breath of wind for my sails, something to cause me to stir in my heart and spirit.

When I looked at the verses listed after the word revive in the concordance, the first verse listed was Psalm 85.  Here are the verses -

Psalm 85:6-13 NIV:

[6] "Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in you?
[7] Show us your unfailing love, Lord, and grant us your salvation.
[8] I will listen to what God the Lord says; he promises peace to his people, his faithful servants---but let them not turn to folly.
[9] Surely his salvation is near those who fear him, that his glory may dwell in our land.
[10] Love and faithfulness meet together; righteousness and peace kiss each other.
[11] Faithfulness springs forth from the earth, and righteousness looks down from heaven.
[12] The Lord will indeed give what is good, and our land will yield its harvest.
[13] Righteousness goes before him and prepares the way for his steps."

I have always loved the imagery of verses 10 and 11, love and faithfulness meeting righteousness and peace kissing, faithfulness spring up from the earth, and righteousness looking down from heaven!

What I need today though is to be revived.  If I used one word to describe my present state of heart, it would be sadness.  The prescription for sadness is joy, and joy causes us to rejoice.  Yes, Lord that is what I need, joy and life!  Lord, show me Your unfailing love, Your faithfulness and Your joy.


Psalm 30:10-12 NIV:

[10] "Hear, Lord, and be merciful to me; Lord, be my help. ”
[11] You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,
[12] that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent. Lord my God, I will praise you forever."

Yes Lord, please clothe me with joy!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment