Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, January 15, 2016

We Are Co-Heirs

I was reading from Smith Wigglesworth's "The Complete Smith Wigglesworth"  this morning and his topic was faith, that helps us to overcome.  He had some really good points that fit nicely into that which I have been learning deeper of late.

"They that believe, love. When did He love us? When we were in the mire. What did He say? Thy sins are forgiven thee. Why did He say it? Because He loved us. What for? That He might bring many sons into glory. His object? That we might be with Him forever. All the pathway is an education for this high vocation and calling. This hidden mystery of love to us, the undeserving! For our sins the double blessing. “...whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory...even our faith”

"He is the root! In Him is life. When we receive Christ, we receive God and the promises (Galatians 3:29), that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. I am heir to all the promises because I believe. A great heirship! I overcome because I believe the truth. The truth makes me free."

"They that are poor in spirit are heirs to all. There is no limit to the power, for God is rich to all who call upon Him."

These quotes focus on the love of God; His love for us while we are still sinners; His desire for relationship ("that we might be with Him forever"); His acceptance of us as His heirs, His sons and daughters; His opening the way for us to experience the wonders of His love and provision.

This really is a matter of faith, for our human wisdom would consider this all complete foolishness.  Why would God do such wonderful things for us, and have such a heart for us, especially when we were sinners?  The only answer that makes any sense is because He loves us.  He loves us and wants us to be with Him forever!  I am continually amazed at this Good News, for I am surely undeserving of such love and desire.

For us to fully experience all the Lord has for us, we must enter into faith, for faith will allow us to step into the things that human wisdom says are impossible, improbable and illogical.  Entering an heirship of the Lord, where that which is His becomes ours requires faith.

Looking at the Webster's definition of an heir - a few things are apparent:

1 : one who inherits or is entitled to inherit property
2 : one who inherits or is entitled to succeed to a hereditary rank, title, or office
3 : one who receives or is entitled to receive some endowment or quality from a parent or predecessor

The passing of titles, property or endowments usually occurs upon the death of the one who holds these things.  However, Jesus first, in the story of the wayward son (Luke 15:11-32) and Paul in his letter to the Romans indicates that we are heirs and our inheritance is available to us even now.  Here is what Paul writes - Romans 8:14-17 NIV:

[14] "For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. [15] The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” [16] The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. [17] Now if we are children, then we are heirs---heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory."

If we are co-heirs with Christ, we are able to inherit that which He inherited.  He does not wait for the end of ages to inherit, but is even now glorified, so neither do we need to wait for the end of ages. If He has already inherited that which the Father designated then any co-heirs would also receive their inheritance. (At least that is what makes sense to me).  Now in the natural, some heirs, at the passing of the one who willed them something, have the inheritance put into a trust which is watched over by the guardian of the trust, until they reach a legal age to receive the full inheritance.

Interestingly, Paul uses similar language to describe the Law and the Gospel of grace through faith in his  letter to the Galatians 3:23-25 NIV:

[23] "Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. [24] So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. [25] Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian."

So we are now back to the message of faith, and that is what is our inheritance, the very gift of God.  Faith will allow us to enter fully into the plans and purposes that God has for us, allowing us to access that which is in Him, as a part of our inheritance!

I know that the Lord has me pressing into deeper understanding and deeper faith.  Lord I do believe, help me to overcome my unbelief, and my lack of understanding. Lord, I pray that You will help me for faith is not somewhere I can go on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment