Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, April 24, 2016

A Time of Promise Fulfillment

This morning I opened my Bible to the book of Daniel and started reading from Daniel 9:1-3 NIV:

[1] "In the first year of Darius son of Xerxes (a Mede by descent), who was made ruler over the Babylonian kingdom--- [2] in the first year of his reign, I, Daniel, understood from the Scriptures, according to the word of the Lord given to Jeremiah the prophet, that the desolation of Jerusalem would last seventy years. [3] So I turned to the Lord God and pleaded with him in prayer and petition, in fasting, and in sackcloth and ashes."

I have always loved this story, for Daniel recognized the promise of the Lord and went after the fulfillment of that promise, knowing that God's promises were true.  The verses he was reading in Jeremiah were as follows - Jeremiah 29:10-13 NIV:

[10] "This is what the Lord says: “When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this place. [11] For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. [12] Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. [13] You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

It seemed to me that as I read these verses, that I felt they were meant to encourage me today, that God's word and His promises are true.  I felt encouraged to go back to those words and promises that He has spoken into my life and into my heart, and to lay hold of them and press into Him, to remind Him of those things.  It is not that He needs reminding, but rather that there are times when He wants us to join Him in bringing about change.  In joining myself to the effort, I become more aware of Him, what He is doing and speaking, and able to recognize things I might otherwise have missed.

 I also thought like in Daniel's case, that this season of promise fulfillment was for us all.  I just wanted to encourage anyone who has been waiting on the promise of the Lord, to press in, to pray, to remind Him and to listen. He is such a good God, He wants us to understand the times and seasons we are in, that we might be able to hear Him and apply ourselves correctly.

One of my favorite author's Graham Cooke writes about the importance of understanding seasons in the Lord.  Here is a link to an excerpt of one of His books - really good stuff: http://www.lutheranrenewal.org/newsletters/0309.pdf

Lord, I pray that You would help me to press into You to know what You are saying and doing in my life.  I look forward to the fulfillment of Your promises!

No comments:

Post a Comment