Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, April 22, 2016

I AM the Pearl

This morning as I was thinking about what to read, the title from a message one of my good friends Doug Day preached popped into my mind, "I am the pearl".  When I first saw that title I immediately started thinking about the story of the rich merchant searching for pearls.   I also thought that I need to spend some time digging into that theme.  Here are the verses found in Matthew 13:45-46 NIV:

“Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. [46] When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it."

In these verses, and those preceding and following them, Jesus is describing what the Kingdom of Heaven is like.  He is describing a kingdom unlike any earthly kingdom and the focus is always on the members of the kingdom.  He uses seed, grain, treasure, pearls, mustards seeds, yeast and fish to describe the Kingdom of Heaven.  Clearly the Kingdom of Heaven is different from earthly kingdom and bears some reflection.

In the parables of the seed and the sower (Matt 13: 3-9), the parable of the weeds (Matt 13: 24-30) and the parable of the net (Matt 13:47-51) it is clear that we, the followers of God, are those things (seed, grain and fish) and as such highly valued.  The grain, seed and fish are the things that provide value back to farmer and fisherman.  The imagery of our value to God is pretty clear in these verses.

The parables of the mustard seed (Matt 13:31-32) and yeast (Matt 13:33) are more clearly about the effect and future of the Kingdom.  While almost unseen, the mustard seed becomes huge, the yeast infiltrates all of the dough.  In both cases a small beginning becomes huge and affects all around.  This is what the Kingdom of Heaven is like on the earth, small beginning and yet hugely effective, not a massive take over, but rather a natural growing effectiveness.  Again this is unlike any other earthly kingdom and Jesus is making sure that His listeners understand this fact.

Finally in the parable of the great treasure (Matt 13:44) and the pearl (Matt 13:45) we have a slightly different focus.  In both, the one looking is someone of great wealth who finds something of great value.  Most of the time when I have thought about this, my assumption has been that this parable is about the value of the Kingdom of Heaven to us, and that we should be willing to "sell everything" to acquire it.  However, when I look at it today in light of these other verses and where we fit into those parables, I do believe there is reason to believe that WE are the great treasure or the pearl of great price!

Jesus came and clearly "sold everything" to purchase us with His very blood (Rev. 5:9).  He humbled Himself and emptied Himself willingly of His divinity and took on the body of a man, from birth to death at our hands, and paid the greatest price ever paid.  His precious blood was shed for us, that we might be set free from sin and death, and be united with Him.

In the story of the pearl, it is important to note that this is not some average pearl, something that is barely valuable, thrown in with hundreds of other pearls.  This is a single pearl of great value.  I believe that the Lord wants us each to understand that is exactly how He sees us, and how valuable we are to Him.  He teaches in another place about how valuable the one lost sheep is that He would leave the ninety-nine other sheep to find the one, and when found celebrate (Luke 15:4-6)! We are each of us of significant value to Him.  We have been in His heart since before the founding of the world (Eph 1:4-5), and He has chosen us (Eph 1:11) and predestined us to join Him.  We are not some sort of accidental salvation, someone who got into the Kingdom by chance, but rather are the result of His will and purpose, His selection and choice, highly esteemed and valued in His eyes.

Here are two verses that popped into my mind:

Isaiah 43:4 NIV:  "Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you,..."

Romans 8:31-32 NIV:

[31] "What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? [32] He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all---how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?"

If God puts our value so high, who are we to argue?  He has deemed us valuable to Him, so valuable that He sent Jesus to pay for us with His blood and life. He has chosen us and assigned our value as beyond comprehension! It says in Hebrews 12:2 that Jesus endured the cross for the joy set before Him, and I believe that He was looking at all the treasure, the perfect pearls  that are you and me, and His heart overflowed with joy for that which He was purchasing.

Thank You Lord, that I am of great value to You!  Lord, I don't really know how to comprehend this truth, but I pray that You will help me to see and understand valuation in Your Kingdom.  You assign great value and significance to each and every one of Your sons and daughters.  You have given Your very life, given everything that You might make a way for me.  Wow!  I AM the pearl!

No comments:

Post a Comment