Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, April 29, 2016

Living What We Believe

This morning I was reminded of a couple of quotes from A.W. Tozer's book - "The Knowledge of the Holy":

"To believe actively that our Heavenly Father constantly spreads around us providential circumstances that work for our present good and our everlasting well-being brings to the soul a veritable benediction. Most of us go through life praying a little, planning a little, jockeying for position, hoping but never being quite certain of anything, and always secretly afraid that we will miss the way."

"This is a tragic waste of truth and never gives rest to the heart. There is a better way. It is to repudiate our own wisdom and take instead the infinite wisdom of God. Our insistence upon seeing ahead is natural enough, but it is a real hindrance to our spiritual progress. God has charged himself with full responsibility for our eternal happiness and stands ready to take over the management of our lives the moment we turn in faith to Him."

- and -

"With the goodness of God to desire our highest welfare, the wisdom of God to plan it, and the power of God to achieve it, what do we lack? Surely we are the most favored of all creatures."

These thoughts from A.W. Tozer are such solid truth.  I find that the gap between what I think I believe and how I actually believe, as evidenced by my thoughts and actions, are often quite different.  I worry about so many things, wonder about whether I am following His direction, etc.   I am often concerned that somehow I might mess up God's plan for my life by acts of stupidness, or just plain not paying attention.

These thoughts show that I have not really believed all that I know to be true.  The good news is that God is not worried about my unbelief, my inattention, my stupidness, or any other thing or character ascribed to my human nature.  He completely understands me, knows my every thought and every action and still loves me a much as He always has.  He has everlasting mercy, compassion and forgiveness.

When God says He loves me, He says that from His vantage point in eternity, outside of time.  He says that when He already knows everything I will ever think, do and not do.  His love for me is eternal and infinite.  If I think  by doing something stupid I can cause Him to love me less, then I have not grasped these essential truths about Him.  Again, He doesn't judge me for my lack of understanding, He has seen that too, and that is included in His love.

There are some that take this perspective and decide they can do whatever they want, like this perspective of God's eternal grace becomes a free ticket to do anything. I, on the other hand, take the approach of gratefulness.  I am so thankful that God loves me in spite of my faults, failings and occasional idiocy.  He knows me, understands me, has a plan for me, and He invites me to be a part of His family, intending to bring me into His eternal happiness and glory.  He is all powerful, all knowing, infinitely good and loving.  I can rest in Him, rest in His care and realize that He is after my heart and my affection, and freely give those to Him.  How can I not love someone who knows me so completely and still chooses to love me, care for me, direct me and guide me.

Lord, help me to fully embrace my belief in You and live my live that way.  Help me to surrender myself to Your mercy, grace, compassion and forgiveness.  Help me to put all my faith in You.  Help me to really live what I say I believe!

No comments:

Post a Comment