Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

A Kick In The Pants!

This morning I was contemplating my relative laziness in doing things that I feel like I should be doing, both personal discipline as well as Kingdom stuff.  I have a terrible habit of thinking good thoughts and having good intentions but then never following through. My positive thought life, if I could turn it into action, would actually be a positive force in my life and the lives of those around me, especially if I ever got around to actually doing even half of the things I think I should do.

As I was thinking those thoughts, I opened my bible right to these following verses - Philippians 2:12-16 NIV:

[12] "Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed---not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence---continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, [13] for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose."

[14] "Do everything without grumbling or arguing, [15] so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky [16] as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain."

I love when the Word of God is directly applicable to my momentary thoughts, even if it is calling me on the carpet, as it reminds me of how intimately involved in my life the Lord wants to be!  I also love how the Lord is quite direct, not beating around the bush, as they say.  Here I was thinking about my inability to obey what I feel like He has told me, and struggling to turn thought into will and then action and that is the theme of the first two verses I read.  Ouch!  However at the same time it is good, for the Lord is allowing me to see that my life needs change, or as they say in religious circles, I need to repent.  I need to change the way I am thinking, change my will, and change my actions.  Lord, I thank You that Your grace is sufficient and mercy is new every morning.

Secondly, I need to embrace an attitude of gratitude and thankfulness, in every thing I do!  It is so easy to gripe and complain, especially when you are being encouraged to change, as change doesn't come without effort and sacrifice.  I need to say no to my flesh and my will, and say yes to the Lord's, and that is sometimes difficult to do!  However, I can choose to do so with a cheerful heart, thankful for the opportunity to change.

Recently, I was hired for a new job after a few months of unemployment.  This is really good news, but the financial renumeration was less than I hoped and less than I was making before, so rather than being thankful, I was griping and complaining.  Last week, on my second day of work, the Lord gently corrected me and showed me that I was being ungrateful, and participating in unbelief, by calling into question His provision.  He gave me the opportunity to change my attitude, and when I did, my whole outlook changed and my excitement about the job was what it should be when starting a new position.

I find it interesting that Paul indicates that having a thankful and obedient heart will cause us to shine like stars in the sky among this generation!  I know which type of person I would rather work around, and I need to choose to be that type of person.  If I can get my eyes off myself and start seeing the hand of God at work in my life and the lives of those around me, and start to call out the good and beautiful things I am seeing and experiencing, than I will be able to make a difference in my life and shine a bit more.  If I can get off my lazy behind, and will and do those things that the Lord has put in my heart, than who knows how much good I might see!

Lord, I am am grateful that You understand my human condition so well, and that You do work in me to will and act in order to fulfill Your good purpose in me.  Help me to fully embrace that which You show me, and help me to push past my selfish attitude and thoughts. Help me to shine with Your life and light!  Thank You for Your gentle kick in the pants!

Amen and Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment