Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Watchful and Thankful

This morning I am continuing on in my reading of Paul's letter to the church in Colossae.  The following verses are just another great encouragement in our daily  walk to be mindful of what we do, and whose we are - Colossians 4:2-6 NIV:

[2] "Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. [3] And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. [4] Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. [5] Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. [6] Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."

My first thought in reading this is that Paul is really the consummate evangelist. He has devoted His life to proclaiming the Gospel, and that is his one focus in everything.  He is in chains for his efforts and yet His prayer is that He might be even more effective!

I like the dual directives he gives for their prayer - "be watchful and thankful".  The original Greek word here translated watchful, could also be translated 'stay alert' or 'be on watch' and is specifically related to guarding one's life.  I know that sometimes I forget that Christianity was under persecution and the people to whom Paul was writing were at times putting their lives in danger by converting to Christianity. In Colossae, it appears that the pressure the Christians were under was related to heresy rather than persecution.  In either case, maintaining a watchful and alert attitude was important for the protection of the believers and the church.  In many ways, the church is under the same duress today.  Increasing persecution and heretical thinking and teaching. We are in a spiritual battle and wariness is always important.

The second charge to remain thankful in prayer is equally important.  This attitude maintains our eyes on the Lord, and helps us align ourselves with His perspective.  So often I am only thankful when things go well, and complaining when they don't.  Paul, maintains that we should be thankful in all circumstances (1 Thes 5:18), not just good circumstances.  I know for me, this is the most effective way for me to return my heart and mind to the Lord. My thanks in all circumstances becomes praise to God for His faithfulness and faith in His plans and purposes that I cannot see.

Finally, Paul encourages us to maintain a watchfulness over opportunities to share the love of God and the Gospel of peace. I consistently fail at this, as rarely do I feel I made the most of the opportunities presented to me.  That being said, I haven't given up the cause, instead I have turned to  Him in prayer, asking the Lord to help me to be more aware of the situations and opportunities, that I might be ready to share the love of God, extending grace and mercy and seasoned conversation.  I am aware of the fact that I carry within me the gospel message and I should be willing to share it verbally, or through my life of service and love.

Lord, I pray that You would lead me forward in proclaiming the fullness of Your Gospel.  Help me to devote myself to prayer, maintaining a watchful and thankful heart and mind.  Help me to be the bearer of the Good News of Your Kingdom, ready to proclaim it as clearly as I  should, and ready to make the most of every opportunity

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment