Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Defending the Gospel Through Love and Kindness

This morning I am reflecting on the introduction from Paul's letter to the church in Philippi.  I sometimes just pass over the introductions, but this morning felt an encouragement to read every word, for the Scriptures are worthy of our consideration, every word.   So here are the verses I am reviewing and reflecting upon - Philippians 1:3-11 NIV:

[3] "I thank my God every time I remember you. [4] In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy [5] because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, [6] being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

[7] It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart and, whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God's grace with me. [8] God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus.

[9] And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, [10] so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, [11] filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ---to the glory and praise of God."

I love the confidence of Paul expressed in verse six.  He is fully confident in the Lord, that He is able to finish the good work He started in each of us.  I am especially encouraged for all those that I know that have struggled with their faith, in some instances abandoning the faith altogether.  The Lord is fully capable and able to finish His work in all our lives, and as He said in John 10:27-28 NIV: "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. [28] I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand."

Secondly I so appreciate Paul's comments about defending and confirming the Gospel in verse seven.  We are in an age where the attack on the Gospel is reaching a fever pitch, especially here in America.  What was once considered worthy of respect and imitation has now become an opportunity for ridicule and attack, especially in the media.  Our lives should provide opportunities for defending and confirming the Gospel, through our daily walk and following of Christ. We should shine like a light in this darkening age (Matt 5:16).  We should be prepared to witness to our beliefs and communicate the Gospel at all times through kindness and love.  Paul writes that it is God's kindness that leads to repentance (Rom 2:4), and Jesus commanded us to love one another as He loved us (John 13:34).  Jesus said that our love for one another is what will distinguish us as His followers (John 13:35).  I can't imagine of a better way to defend and confirm the Gospel than through living a life of kindness and love towards all, even to those that would consider themselves enemies of the faith, or my enemies.

Finally, Paul prays for our abounding love gained through knowledge and depth of insight.  Isn't that almost an ironic statement?  So often we find that gained knowledge produces pride, arrogance and condescending attitudes. I believe that Paul is speaking about knowledge and depth of insight into the heart of the Father, into Jesus and the Holy Spirit.  Knowledge of the word is one thing, but knowledge of the person, their very heart and mind, is how love grows.  As we gaze upon Jesus; as we understand His heart for us; as we see Him moving in power in our lives and the lives of those around us; as we see the Holy Spirit at work bringing glory to the name of Jesus through miracles, signs and wonders; as we come to understand the heart of the Father perfectly represented through Jesus, we will grow in love, to the point that we overflow.

Let us be encouraged today to pursue abounding love through relationship with the Lord.  Let us confirm and defend the Gospel of Grace through lives of kindness and love.  Let us pray for those that have lost their way and listened to a voice that is not the Good Shepherd. Let us be confident in Jesus ability to carry out to completion the good work He began in us!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment