Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Embracing the Bigger Picture

This morning I am reflecting on some verses from Paul - 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 NIV:

[16] "Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. [17] For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. [18] So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

I love how Paul continues to point people towards an eternal focus and perspective. We need this in our lives, for our society constantly points us to our here and now, tells us to focus on our needs and wants and not on our eternal destiny. Placing our eyes on our Lord, understanding our identity in Him, recognizing the eternal nature of our souls are all beneficial pursuits.

As we embrace our relationship with Him, we gain God's perspective and can rest in His faithfulness and Omnipotence.  To consider our present experiences light and momentary is freeing to our mind, enabling us to step out of our situation and into God's eternal perspective.  This is like learning to apply a scale of reference to a photo or map.  Without a scale of reference we have a hard time telling if something is 5 inches, 5 feet, or 5 miles. Likewise, without God's perspective we struggle to correctly interpret our situation and purpose.

In several places Paul discusses the hardships he endured for the sake of the Gospel.  He understood that these difficult circumstances sometimes were used by God to enable His ministry.  He wrote about how his illness actually enabled him to minister to the church in Galatia - Galatians 4:13-14 NIV:
" As you know, it was because of an illness that I first preached the gospel to you, [14] and even though my illness was a trial to you, you did not treat me with contempt or scorn. Instead, you welcomed me as if I were an angel of God, as if I were Christ Jesus himself."

Paul was able to see the bigger picture, and recognize that God's ways are not always the ways we would think or act (Is 55:8-9).  He encourages us to fix our eyes on Jesus (2 Cor 4:18), on our relationship with him, our eternal destiny and life, and to allow this perspective to contextualize our present situation and circumstances.

I know for me this is a very helpful exercise, thinking about how God would view my present situation.  I know He is not worried, concerned or surprised.  As I recognize that He is still God of my life, still in firm control of all eternity, still has all authority and power, still seated on His throne, still loves me, still knows everything about my life, I can settle my heart.  I can learn to lean into Him and allow these present circumstances to wash over me, and I can stand on the footing the Lord has given me, as He is the rock upon which I can stand (Ps 40:2).  It is so peaceful once I get the bigger picture!

Thank You Lord for Your love, compassion, provision and plans!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment