Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, April 7, 2017

A Prayer for Our Nation

I found myself praying for our country this morning, not that this is unusual, but it was a theme that just continued to be present in my mind.  I was thinking about the amazingly complex issues we face as a nation, the many conflicting interests, the massive bureaucracy, the taxation, the defense and infrastructure, education and human welfare, stewardship of our natural resources, regulations versus freedom and liberty, free speech and the like.  We have a very complex web of interconnected issues and there seems to be no clear path forward to reducing the complexity and creating a more peaceful and agreeable solution that is better for everyone, increasing freedom, liberty, quality of life and peace for all.  There are many smart people, may passionate people, many who have answers, but I daresay no one has the perfect solution, and certainly no one has a plan that everyone will support and like.

So how do we pray, and how do we act in times like these?  As I described a few days ago, I believe I must start with my own life, and then work to influence the sphere around me.  I can have all the great ideas in the world, good intentions to boot, but if I am not willing to live them out, then my witness and my words are not consistent, and one could say I have limited integrity.  So my first goal is to align my life and beliefs, my thoughts and my actions.

Secondly, I am reminded of some advice, namely that we need to pick our battles because we can't fight them all.  Our battles need to based out of our priorities and purpose. In other words, we need to decide what are the most important things, and then invest our time and energies in them.  I care about many things, but I can only really be engaged and make a difference in a few.   At least that is my present situation. So for me the question is what do I care most about, and where am I called to make a difference?

Third, while I have many thoughts and ideas, opinions and strong feelings, my goal is not to fling them out, as if that was making a difference.  Instead I am choosing to work on and support those areas that I have chosen, and allow my actions to speak for me.  I think maybe we have too many words and opinions flying around (and I recognize that is an opinion), and I find that I prefer to control my tongue and my words.  It just makes life easier.  I like the following statements from Proverbs 18:2-8 NIV

[2] "Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions.
[3] When wickedness comes, so does contempt, and with shame comes reproach.
[4] The words of the mouth are deep waters, but the fountain of wisdom is a rushing stream.
[5] It is not good to be partial to the wicked and so deprive the innocent of justice.
[6] The lips of fools bring them strife, and their mouths invite a beating.
[7] The mouths of fools are their undoing, and their lips are a snare to their very lives.
[8] The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to the inmost parts."

Finally, I am feeling more encouraged to pray for all those that are trying to steer this mighty nation, to affect change, to guide and direct and decide.  Not for a second do I believe that I understand all the impacts and issues, and I must trust that God has a plan.  I also know that for true change to occur, we all must be willing to compromise, and be willing to give ground in some areas, and that includes me.

It seems that we have lost any respect for good old conversation that leads to compromise.  By this I  mean a two way communication where each side respects the other side, respects their right to have an opinion, presents their case, listens to the other and then mutually work their way to a compromise where each side gives some ground to come to an agreement and move forward.  If I look at verse 2 above, it seems a somewhat accurate description of our present state, we are being foolish.  So that is what I am praying for our nation and for our state and local governments.  I am praying that our leaders will be slow to speak, slow to spout their opinions, and quick to listen and seek understanding, and that the spirit of respect and peace will reign.

I am trying to live my life by these words from 1 Peter 2:12-17 NASB:

[12] "Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may because of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify God in the day of visitation."

[13] "Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority, [14] or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right. [15] For such is the will of God that by doing right you may silence the ignorance of foolish men. [16] Act as free men, and do not use your freedom as a covering for evil, but use it as bondslaves of God. [17] Honor all people, love the brotherhood, fear God, honor the king."

I keep coming back to Jesus' command for us to love one another as He loved us (John 13:34).  For me, that is ground zero.  Is my life a life of love, of care, of compassion, of mercy, of forgiveness and of laying down my life for others?

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment