Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, April 10, 2017

Basking In, and Reflecting God's Love

This morning I just felt like basking in the glow of God's love.  I thought an apt reflection in this light (no pun intended) would be Paul's famous discourse on Love from 1 Corinthians 13:4-8,13 NIV:

[4] "Love is patient,
love is kind.
It does not envy,
it does not boast,
it is not proud.
[5] It does not dishonor others,
it is not self-seeking,
it is not easily angered,
it keeps no record of wrongs.
[6] Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
[7] It always protects,
always trusts,
always hopes,
always perseveres.
[8] Love never fails"....

[13] "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love.
But the greatest of these is love."

As I read through this list, I was aware of two things.  First, God is love (1 John 4:8).  Anything that is true of love is true of God, so I could reread that list and replace the word 'love' with God and it would still be true.  Second, as followers of God, and representing Him, we are called to be able to say the same about ourselves.  We should be able to replace the word 'love' with our name.  Thus, for me I could create a nice reminder list that starts, 'Sam is patient, Sam is kind, etc.  What a great list!

Now the most important thing, is making these actionable and reality in my life.  I can have great intentions, but it is in the working out and actual actions of our life that the truth of what we really believe will be seen.  James spends some good time working through this idea as it applies to faith in his letter, as does John concerning love earlier in his first letter.

John says it this way - 1 John 3:16-18 NIV:

[16] "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. [17] If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? [18] Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth."

James say it this way - James 2:14-18,26 NIV:

[14] "What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? [15] Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. [16] If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? [17] In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead."

[18] "But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds."

[26] "As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead."

Thus, it is by our deeds and by our actions that the truth of what we believe, of what we hold to in our heart and mind is seen.  Words without actions means we have intentions and thoughts, but apparently don't believe these things enough to live our lives accordingly.

So, this morning I am reminded of God's great love for me, shown to me in His actions!  I am encouraged to do the same!  I am encouraged to love in action and deed, to put practical action behind my good intentions.  Lord, help me to live accordingly!  Help me to reflect Your love to all I meet.  Help me to be patient, kind, not envious, not boasting, not proud, not dishonoring, not self-seeking, not easily angered, keeping no record of hurts and slights, not delighting in evil, but instead rejoicing in truth. Help me protect, trust, hope and persevere!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment