Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

God's Mercy and Graciousness

This morning I was drawn to the topic of mercy.  I guess that it makes sense, as I have been reflecting on compassion and love, and mercy is closely related.  I am going back to the first time the Lord mentions His mercy to moses as my initial meditation verse.  This is found in Exodus 33:18-19 NIV:

[18] "Then Moses said, “Now show me your glory.”

[19] And the Lord said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion."

And again as He actually showed Moses His Glory - Exodus 34:6-7 NIV:

[6] And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, “The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, [7] maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.”

The original Hebrew word translated as 'mercy' in Ex 33:19 and the root of the word translated 'gracious' in Ex 34:6 is the same word 'Chanan'.  This word is defined as follows by Strong's:

1) to be gracious, show favour, pity
a) (Qal) to show favour, be gracious
b) (Niphal) to be pitied
c) (Piel) to make gracious, make favourable, be gracious
d) (Poel) to direct favour to, have mercy on
e) (Hophal) to be shown favour, be shown consideration
f) (Hithpael) to seek favour, implore favour

Webster's dictionary defines mercy as follows:

1 a : compassion or forbearance shown especially to an offender or to one subject to one's power; also : lenient or compassionate treatment  
b : imprisonment rather than death imposed as penalty for first-degree murder
2 a : a blessing that is an act of divine favor or compassion
b : a fortunate circumstance
3 : compassionate treatment of those in distress

Webster's defines gracious as follows:

1 a obsolete : godly
b archaic : pleasing, acceptable
2 a : marked by kindness and courtesy  
b : graceful
c : marked by tact and delicacy : urbane
d : characterized by charm, good taste, generosity of spirit, and the tasteful leisure of wealth and good breeding
3 : merciful, compassionate — used conventionally of royalty and high nobility

Sorry for all the definitions, but I thought if this is one of the key attributes of God that He reveals to Moses, it is important that we understand exactly what God is trying to tell us about Himself.

In my mind, and with reference to the definitions above, the words mercy and gracious combined speak of having favour, extending kindness and pity, and specifically targeting those who may not normally expect this treatment of be worthy of this treatment.  I think this is a very accurate description of the Lord.

I also find the statement the Lord makes concerning mercy, that He will have mercy on who He has mercy, very significant.  It is His call, His motivation, His determination that rains mercy, not some act, some state or some religious observance that causes Him to be merciful.  It is His nature that causes Him to be merciful and gracious!  We don't deserve mercy, we receive mercy!

As with compassion, this is the result of God understanding our situation, our circumstances and extending to us something that comes from His very core, from His nature.  He knows we are sinners, He knows our human proclivities and problems, He understands how we think and act, and in spite of all of this, chooses to have mercy and be gracious.

Last night my honey and I were talking about God's love and mercy, and so thankful that He does not disown us for our wrong decisions and actions.  His choice is that He extends mercy to us, forgiveness for our sins, and does not treat us as we deserve.  David pleaded for God's mercy, after He was confronted about His sin with Bathsheba, and his plea is found in  Psalm 51:1-2 NIV: "Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. [2] Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin."

God does not disown us, does not cut us off, but rather extends mercy!  As we celebrate this Holy Week, let us be reminded that it is all because of God's mercy and His love for sinners.  Jesus said it most clearly in John 3:16-17 NIV:

[16] "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."  

Paul reiterates this in His letter to the Colossians 2:13-15 NIV:

[13] "When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, [14] having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross. [15] And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross."

Lord, I am so thankful this morning for Your mercy and graciousness towards me!  I know I certainly don't deserve Your kindness, You favour, Your pity and especially Your blood poured out for me.  I am so grateful that You look upon me and Your heart is moved with compassion and You choose to have mercy and extend graciousness, not because of something I have done, but because of who You are!

Thank You Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment