Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, May 5, 2017

I Can Love

This morning I have been reflecting on our fragmenting society.  There are really good people on all sides, people I love and think of fondly with very different points of view than I have at present.  People are angry, people are rejoicing, people are worried, people are hurting, people are happy, people are ignoring the noise and just moving forward with life.  It seems like there is no easy path forward.  Anything that is reduced will anger someone, hurt someone, cause an uproar. Its just messy out there.

So this morning, my question was how to steady my heart, how to move forward.  I can only think of one strategy, that being to love others.  Whether I agree with their politics or not to love them.  Whether I agree with their life-style, whether I share the same sexual preference or not, whether the color of their skin is the same as mine or not, I choose to love them.  I can steady my heart with love.  I can choose to love them, choose to be kind to them, choose to think kindly about them, choose to consider them worthy of my love.  Young or old, rich or poor, whatever their race, religion, or culture, I can choose to love them.

I am reminded of Jesus words to His followers, recorded by John.  John 15:9-13,17-20 NIV:

[9] “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. [10] If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commands and remain in his love. [11] I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. [12] My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. [13] Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

[17] This is my command: Love each other.

[18] “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. [19] If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. [20] Remember what I told you: 'A servant is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also.:"

I repeat His command here, because regardless of whether the world hates, or persecutes you, the command stays the same - "Love each other."

I can love.  I can choose to love.  I can learn to lay down my life for my friends.  I can learn to look past the division, disagreements, differences and see the person, see the son or daughter, see the individual worthy of love.  I can choose to set my heart on the course of Love, and not let the winds of difficulty, strife and division blow me off course.  I can choose to embrace the command of Jesus, that my joy might be complete.

It really is a radical path, but I think it is the right one.  My heart is steady and at peace, knowing I can do this one thing.  I can love.

No comments:

Post a Comment