Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Regarding Mothers

This morning I thought I would reflect on a day appropriate set of verses, since we celebrate Mother's Day today.  I was thinking back to Mary's first encounter with God, and His servant Gabriel.  Here are the verses - Luke 1:28-30 NIV:

[28] "The angel went to her and said, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.” [29] Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. [30] But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God."

I stopped my quotation at this point, because I think these same words can be spoken over every mother, "You have found favor with God!"  What an awesome proclamation over an individual life!

There is absolute truth in those statements, for I believe the Lord has found favor with every woman who has carried a child in her womb, welcoming into existence one that the Lord has loved since before creation (Eph 1:4).  Being part of creation, allowing the child to form in one's womb, must be one of the closest places we, as humans, can come to God's creative nature.  He loved us so He created us.

In addition to giving birth our Mother's have been the best example of God's nurturing nature.  He does not create us and set us adrift, but rather watches over our lives with intimate care.  He knows every thought, every deed (Ps 139: 1-5), and sometimes it felt like my mom did too. :-)   The constant care, the intimate knowledge of their child, the loving self-sacrifice, the protection, the provision of food and a safe environment to grow and develop, all are part of God's plan for each of our lives, provided most often by our Mothers.

Finally, I felt like my Mom, and my Sweetheart provided an excellent example of God's character as revealed by Him in Exodus 34:6 NIV: "And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, “The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness,..."  For many of us, our faith, our relational skills, our understanding of our world and place in it were formed initially by our Mothers.  They were faithful and abounding in love.  In their example I can see and understand God better.

So, today I am grateful for the ministry of love, compassion, graciousness and kindness that has been showered upon me by my Mom and by my wife.  The Lord has looked with favor upon them both! It is right to honor them with our words and appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment