Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, May 4, 2017

The Parakletos - The Holy Spirit

This morning I am continuing my reading from John's Gospel.  Some morning I read several verses, some mornings one is enough and today is one of those days.  I read the following verse and just stopped, knowing it was one to ponder for a bit.

John 15:26 NIV: “When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father---the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father---he will testify about me."

To be clear, Jesus is speaking about the Holy Spirit.  We have here the best introduction to the mystery of the Holy Trinity.  The word John uses to describe the  Holy Spirit is the Greek word parakletos.  Here is the definition of that word, as provided by the Strong's Concordance:

1) summoned, called to one's side, esp. called to one's aid
    A) one who pleads another's cause before a judge, a pleader, counsel for defense, legal assistant, an advocate
    B) one who pleads another's cause with one, an intercessor
        1) of Christ in his exaltation at God's right hand, pleading with God the Father for the pardon of our sins
    C) in the widest sense, a helper, succourer, aider, assistant
        1) of the Holy Spirit destined to take the place of Christ with the apostles (after his ascension to the Father), to lead them to a deeper knowledge of the
            gospel truth, and give them divine strength needed to enable them to undergo trials and persecutions on behalf of the divine kingdom

Clearly in this instance, the definition seems to be 1.C.1 - speaking of the Holy Spirit taking Jesus' place and leading the Apostles and disciples into deeper truth.  However, I don't think we want to focus only on that part of the definition, for the Holy Spirit is sent as our helper, sent as our advocate, sent as our intercessor, sent as our counselor, sent to empower us and strengthen us, sent to guide us.

The Holy Spirit is sent by Jesus from The Father, proceeds or goes out from the Father, arrives on the scene (for Jesus speaks of when He comes), and is clearly called the Spirit of Truth.  Jesus earlier had referred to Himself as the Truth (John 14:6) and so we have an equating or equvalency of purpose and role  between Jesus and the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit is sent by the Son, proceeds from the Father and is equivalent to both, for we know that Jesus is the exact representation of the Father (Heb. 1:3).  How it all works is a mystery beyond our human capabilities to fully grasp.

We see a second role of the Holy Spirit, in the end of the sentence - He will testify about Jesus.  I find this verse very comforting, for clearly I can't meet Jesus personally in the flesh right now.  We have the scriptures to help us understand Jesus, to hear His words and see His love and motivation, but I desire more than just reading about Jesus, I want to engage with Him in my life.  I want to know more than what is written, I want to know Him fully.  This is the stated purpose of the Holy Spirit, according to Jesus.  He will testify to us about Jesus.  The Greek word John uses here is matureo, and it is defined as follows:

1) to be a witness, to bear witness, i.e. to affirm that one has seen or heard or experienced something, or that he knows it because taught by divine revelation or inspiration
    A) to give (not to keep back) testimony
    B) to utter honourable testimony, give a good report
    C) conjure, implore

Jesus spoke about this role a bit more in John 14:26 NIV:  "But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you."

The Holy Spirit will teach us all things, and will remind us of everything that Jesus said, for He was present when Jesus said them.  We have in scripture a written record of what Jesus said, as remembered by the authors, but we have the Holy Spirit living in us, who was there present and whose job it is to testify to what He has seen and heard, to bear witness to Jesus.  Again, as I said earlier, I am very encouraged by this, for that is exactly what I am desiring.

Holy Spirit I ask that You will teach me all things, testify about Jesus and remind me of everything that Jesus said during His ministry.  Help me to more fully grasp the mystery that is the Holy Trinity!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment