Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, March 25, 2018

Choosing the RIGHT "ISM"

This morning I was rereading the first chapter of John's Gospel.  He does such a good job of summarizing the Gospel's foundation.  Here are the verses I am considering this morning - John 1:9-14,16-18 NIV:

[9] "The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. [10] He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. [11] He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. [12] Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God--- [13] children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God."

[14] "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

[16] "Out of his fullness we have all received grace in place of grace already given. [17] For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. [18] No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known."

The verse that stood out to me this morning was verse twelve, specifically that He gave to us who believe "the RIGHT to become children of God".  The Greek word used here is Exousia and it is most commonly translated power or authority.  Here is the basic definition:

1) power of choice, liberty of doing as one pleases
    a) leave or permission
2) physical and mental power
    a) the ability or strength with which one is endued, which he either possesses or exercises
3) the power of authority (influence) and of right (privilege)
4) the power of rule or government (the power of him whose will and commands must be submitted to by others and obeyed)

This right is given to us by God, as we are born of God.  It is His power and authority, His choice, and His gift. Our single requirement is to believe. We are invited to believe that Jesus is God's Son, that He revealed the Father to us, as the one who knows Him best, and that He came to bring us a new Grace and Truth from the Father.

It is interesting the way John rights about the Gospel of grace, saying it was grace received in place of grace (The Law) already given.  The Greek reads charis (grace) anti charis (grace), so the key word here is anti.  In Greek the definition of anti is very similar to the English and this word is defined as follows:

1) over against, opposite to, before
2) for, instead of, in place of (something)

As we look at the meaning John is desiring, it clearly can't be the first definition, as Jesus didn't come to reveal something opposite or against the Law, so he clearly meant the second definition to be used.  The Gospel of Grace is given in place of, or instead of the Law.

I was just thinking that this could be likened to wanting to replace our first form of locomotion (a bike for most of us) with a car.  When I got my first car, I pretty much didn't ride my bike any more.  When I needed to go somewhere, I could choose to bike or in place off the bike, I could take my car.  At some point, I no longer rode my bike at all and I sold it.

This is very similar to what we find in the Letter to the Hebrews 8:13 NIV: "By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear."  Just as John wrote, the author of Hebrews wrote that the Gospel of Grace, brought to us by Jesus, is meant to replace the Law.

So instead of legalism (Law), we should have in our hearts and lives, charisms (Grace).   The Greek word charis is defined:

1) grace
    a) that which affords joy, pleasure, delight, sweetness, charm, loveliness: grace of speech
2) good will, loving-kindness, favour
    a) of the merciful kindness by which God, exerting his holy influence upon souls,
      turns them to Christ, keeps, strengthens, increases them in Christian faith,
      knowledge, affection, and kindles them to the exercise of the Christian virtues
3) what is due to grace
    a) the spiritual condition of one governed by the power of divine grace

I know which "ism" I want in my life!  What a great Gospel we are meant to live under!  Let us encourage one another to embrace the Truth and Grace brought by Jesus, as He represented the Father!  He gave us the "RIGHT" to be His children, by His power, His authority, and His choice!  All we need to do is believe! Let us step into this right, and embrace all that He has for us as His children!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment