Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Divine Appointments and God's Plans

This morning I felt like reading from the First Book of Samuel, and came across the story of the Saul's selection.  It is an interesting story for the detail that is included and the round-about way that God moves.  Here are some select verses from the story - 1 Samuel 9:3,5-6,11-12,14-19 NIV:

[3] "Now the donkeys belonging to Saul's father Kish were lost, and Kish said to his son Saul, “Take one of the servants with you and go and look for the donkeys.”

[5] "When they reached the district of Zuph, Saul said to the servant who was with him, “Come, let's go back, or my father will stop thinking about the donkeys and start worrying about us.” [6] But the servant replied, “Look, in this town there is a man of God; he is highly respected, and everything he says comes true. Let's go there now. Perhaps he will tell us what way to take.”

11] "As they were going up the hill to the town, they met some young women coming out to draw water, and they asked them, “Is the seer here?”

[12] “He is,” they answered. “He's ahead of you. Hurry now; he has just come to our town today, for the people have a sacrifice at the high place."

[14] "They went up to the town, and as they were entering it, there was Samuel, coming toward them on his way up to the high place. [15] Now the day before Saul came, the Lord had revealed this to Samuel: [16] “About this time tomorrow I will send you a man from the land of Benjamin. Anoint him ruler over my people Israel; he will deliver them from the hand of the Philistines. I have looked on my people, for their cry has reached me.”

[17] When Samuel caught sight of Saul, the Lord said to him, “This is the man I spoke to you about; he will govern my people.”

[18] Saul approached Samuel in the gateway and asked, “Would you please tell me where the seer's house is?”

[19] “I am the seer,” Samuel replied. “Go up ahead of me to the high place, for today you are to eat with me, and in the morning I will send you on your way and will tell you all that is in your heart."

As I read this story this morning I was reflecting on the divine appointment that God had arranged in the life of Saul.  Saul was unaware of the change that was coming, and to him it just seemed like another day or another trip, but God was arranging circumstances to have him meet Samuel.  The trip seemed to have been 20-30 miles, from what I can tell, and this was all on foot, passing through a few different districts and tribal regions in search of these donkeys, which apparently were wandering quite far afield.  In the natural, one wouldn't think that wandering donkeys would have anything to do with God, but these certainly did, for it was used by God to get Saul to Samuel's town.

Secondly, the timing of the journey was such that Saul arrived at the town when Samuel was there.  Samuel maintained a traveling circuit between 4 destinations (See 1 Sam 7:15-17) and was on the road apparently quite often.  It just so happened that when Saul was wandering looking for the far wandering donkeys, they came to Samuel's town on the day Samuel was going to offer a sacrifice.  Saul got to this town because of the servant's encouragement, as if he had followed his own thoughts He would have already turned around.  Again, looking in the natural, none of this seems unusual, yet God is at work bringing His plan to fruition.

We know God is at work because of the interactions of Samuel and God.  God specifically told Samuel the day before Saul wandered into town, that He was going to meet a young man the next day, around the same time, and that He was to anoint him ruler.  Saul was completely unaware, but Samuel was apprised of the situation and was expectant.  Samuel caught sight of Saul and the Lord confirmed at that moment that he was the one He had told Samuel about previously.

Again, looking in the natural, we wouldn't   see or be aware of this divine interaction or arranging of circumstances, it would just look like a young man wandering into town with his servant, meeting an old man on his way.  Saul certainly had no idea what was about to unfold, and was only there for totally normal reasons.  All the work in the background by God was completely hidden to him, and he was just being an obedient son.

My encouragement today is the Lord is every bit as aware of each of our lives, and is directing us and connecting us, arranging our schedules, our travels, our walking, our meetings, our day to day efforts.  He is doing this so that we might have encounters and appointments of significance in our lives.  If we are willing, He will also use us to affect the lives of those we meet with timely words and meetings that are God ordained.  I am encouraged to pay more attention to my circumstances and situations, to chance meetings or even to thoughts of people in my life, as opportunities to change my life and other's lives as directed by the Lord.  I have had several very significant "chance" meetings while traveling, and in retrospect one can see God arranging circumstances to enable me to meet someone.  I have met my new future boss by sitting next to him on a plane from NJ to Chicago (I live in KC) and another time met and old friend that I hadn't seen in 25 years, in the Atlanta airport (He lives in Minnesota, I live in KC) and had a very specific word of encouragement for him.  I love when I have significant meetings like these, but I am also aware that even the servant girls Saul met were part of God's plan to connect Saul and Samuel, even though neither they, nor Saul were aware of their part.  God uses those around us, those we encounter to guide us and direct us through circumstance and situations to get us to His appointments!

I am reminded of the many ways God speaks and directs my life, and I am so grateful, for left to my own thoughts and ways, I would miss it all!  I am grateful for the way God has used me to speak timely words, directive words and used me to speak to into someone else's life.  I am grateful for all the times He has used others to do the same for me!

I am encouraged today, to just be more aware of the Lord and His word to me!  I am encouraged to listen and then obey what He tells me to do, that I might receive or be part of a divine appointment!  I am encouraged today, that even though it might seem like I am wandering around, wondering what is going on in my life, God has a plan and appointment for me, and His plan is well underway!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment