Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, April 5, 2018

Decisions, Discernment and Sowing in Peace

This morning I have been reading the Letter from James, and reflecting on the third chapter.  While most of this chapter has to do with taming the tongue, the last two verses are where my attention was drawn, and upon which I will turn my focus this morning.  Here are the verses - James 3:17-18 NIV:

[17] "But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. [18] Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness."

I was reflecting on these verses, and some thoughts I had previously written on how this list from James is good for discernment.  My thought was that in the face of decisions,  looking to this list as to how a decision lines up with the characteristics would guide one well in life.  Here is a list of questions to ask oneself:

1) Is this decision based on pure motives?
2) Does it establish peace or preserve peace?
3) Is it considerate of others?
4) Is it reasonable (See below)?
5) Is it merciful?
6) Does it, or will it bear good fruit?
7) Is it a decision you can stand behind?
8) Is it a decision that is in line with your beliefs?

Note for number 4 above:  The Greek word translated here as submissive could also be translated reasonable (NASB). We sometimes struggle with the word submissive, as it is seem as a weak word, but in this case the sense is that James is trying to convey is that we must be looking to others, and situations that are larger than ourselves and our perspective.  The NASB translation has the list of characteristics as follows - "first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy." (James 3:17 NASB).

I am just encouraged reading this list.  Applying these to one's life would certainly help you uncover God's wisdom for your situation.  I know for me, it always is better if I stop and think before making significant decisions, and running through a list like this would help me see past my own selfish perspective.

Another thing that I have come across in my life are two or three similarly good choices, and needing to choose just one.  In situations like that I definitely need God's wisdom and direction.  In these cases I have often looked to peace in my heart to guide me.  I will write down the pros and cons, and seek input from others, especially my family.  I will look to scriptures and then if I am still unsure, I look to the peace in my heart.  I will make a decision in my mind, and then sit on it for 2-3 days, allowing my heart to respond.  I have found that usually one decision will enable my heart to be at peace, the other decision(s) will cause my heart to become less peaceful.  I find that my own internally developed process is quite in-line with what James produced here.

Finally, James finishes his thoughts with an interesting statement about sowing in peace and reaping righteousness.  One first reading this sounds like James is breaking the natural law of sowing and reaping (You can only reap what you sow).  However, upon further analysis, it is the state of one's heart and mind that he is describing.  The NASB translation seems to convey this a bit clearer - James 3:18 NASB: "And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace."

I find that anytime I sow in a place of anxiety or fear, I make bad decisions.  He isn't talking about quick decisions, but rather sowing, which must relate to longer term fruitfulness.  In this case - the seed whose fruit is righteousness can only mean relationship with Christ, for our righteousness is from Him alone (see Romans 3 & 4).

I believe that we can't argue a person into relationship with Christ; we can't scare him into relationship with Christ; we can't guilt someone into relationship with Christ.  Our witness, to really be effective and bear fruit, must come out of our peace and rest in Him, and through our identity in Him.

We, who are at peace internally, who know God's love, acceptance, forgiveness, mercy, grace and compassion, are able to minister these things to others.  We can bear witness to Him, through our peace in the midst of life's storms.  We can bring peace with us into life's crazy and anxious situations and plant the seeds of relationship that lead to salvation, by which others attain righteousness through faith.  Paul writes the following in his letter to the Colossians 4:5-6 NIV:

[5] "Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. [6] Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."

Paul also writes in his letter to the Philippians 4:4-7 NIV:

[4] Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! [5] Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. [6] Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. [7] And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Let us look to the Lord for His guidance and wisdom.  Let us embrace His peace, and reflect His peace to those around us!  Let us be beacons of peace in these turbulent times!  Let us walk in His light, and in relationship that we might sow seeds that lead to righteousness.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment