Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Turn and Listen!

This morning I am thinking and reflecting on a recurring theme from my most recent prayer times - "belief in action".  I feel like the Lord is inviting me to look at my life and see where my actions don't line up with what I say I believe, and then to do something about that.  It is an interesting exercise, and frankly not one I am excited to do.

That being said, I am always encouraged when the Lord leads me deeper into Him.  He has a plan and purpose and I want to be able to hear Him say, "well done good and faithful servant." I  know there is more for me, and I know He sees more in me and is calling it out of me.  It is just sometimes painful to see where you actually are vs. where you think you are or where you want to be.  However, I am encouraged, because He doesn't just call us forward, but He makes available all we need to move forward.  Paul said it this way in his letter to the Romans 8:28-32 NIV:

[28] "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. [29] For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. [30] And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified."

[31] "What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? [32] He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all---how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?"

And the author of the Letter to the Hebrews 12:1-2 NIV:

[1] "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, [2] fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

Thus, I am encouraged when He calls me forward, calling me deeper into Him, in His ways, plans and purposes.  So this morning I am reflecting on some verses from Paul's letter to the Ephesians 5:8-10,14-16 NIV:

[8] "For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light [9] (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) [10] and find out what pleases the Lord.

[14] This is why it is said: “Wake up, sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.” [15] Be very careful, then, how you live---not as unwise but as wise, [16] making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil."

So, my question to consider is how to live as a child of the light, everyday, in every situation?  Secondly, how do I practically "make the most of every opportunity"?  These are very easy to say, not so easy to live out effectively, every day, in every situation.  This is where the rubber meets the road and too often I find myself being less of a light and certainly not making the most of every opportunity.

I could live in defeat or shame because of my constant failure to live up to this high standard, or I could choose to embrace the gentle guidance of the Lord, and learn from Him as He guides me and teaches me.  His encouragement isn't meant to bring judgment and condemnation, but rather encouragement and conviction.  He knows I am capable of more and is calling me into that place, into that increase.

If you are like me, you can only focus on one or two things at a time (Usually I am only capable of one thing to focus on) and thus I believe my path forward is to ask the Lord for the one thing He wants me to focus on doing differently.  I could look around me and try to emulate those people I see around me, and try  to do the things I see them doing, but I have learned from experience that is not the best path forward.  I find that I am too eager to make huge leaps and the Lord is after smaller steps.

As an example, if I were to go to a gym and start lifting weights, I wouldn't be satisfied with lower weights, I would want to try to lift as heavy a weight as I could, as quickly as I could!  I would most likely hurt myself.  That is why we have professional trainers at gyms, they know how to guide us down the path of incremental gains and strengthening all the body to support the increase.  What I would want to achieve in 2 months, they would help me accomplish in maybe 6 months, but it would be real gain, not 2 weeks and an injury (which would be the likely result of my plan).

In the same way God knows me, and He knows how to move me forward in the most effective manor, with the maximum growth and the effectiveness. He is looking more at my obedience and less at my accomplishments.  I am so worried about accomplishments, and He is just looking for me to look to Him, and follow Him.  He doesn't need great accomplishments, He can multiply exponentially my small bits into something that is amazing (e.g. feeding 5000 with a few fish and loaves - Matt 14:15-20), what He needs is my obedience, my following Him and learning from Him.

So Lord, how can I be a light today?  How can live as a child of the light?  How can I make the most of the opportunities today?  I can look to You and follow Your lead!  I can work to remember to turn to You, and to listen to You!  I can make that my small step - to turn to You, and listen, before acting or speaking!  It seems small, but in Your Kingdom it can get me in line with Your efforts (power) and authority!  My little loaves of obedience can in turn feed thousands.

Amen Lord!  Help me to turn and listen today!

No comments:

Post a Comment